Fair market value payout upon termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair market value payout upon termination

I am looking for comments regarding the following topics in contracts between the brewery and a distributor:

1. Termination:
    a. time frames (90, 60, 30 day notices by either party)
    b. buy-outs when termination is initiated by the brewery. I have am reviewing a contract right now that states 2 times the previous years gross profits this is how they want to calculate "fair market value".

Let me know what you have in your contracts regarding these two topics. I am very interested to see what is going on around the country.

Thank you very much in advance!
    Shawn
    North Star Craft Brewery

It will vary from state to state. Some states, like TN, the government regulates the brewer-distributor relationship, right down to how many days notice before termination, etc.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Linus is correct - many states mandate minimum provisions in brewer-distributor contracts in regards to termination; just cause; wholesaler deficiencies, remedies etc. Around these parts the buy out provisions seem to be in the range of $4 to $7 per annual case equivalent sold.

Comment

In NY its nearly impossible if the distributor doesn't want to let you go.

Varies state to state

Comment

Working...
        X