peat malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peat malt

How much Peat Malt is sufficient per Bbl (in oz. and #'s) for a Scottish Ale (80/). I'm not trying to knock anyone over with the smoke, just want it detectable.

Thanks!
    Jay

R.I.P. Mike J.

I'd say no more than 1% of your total grist......its very potent stuff

Personally if you want that hint of smoke, I'd use standard german smoke malt, 5 to 10%. The smoke character is more pleasing, peat malt tends to be medicinal, especially if you over do it.

JackK

Comment

Peat

I use 0.7% light peated malt from Simpson for a scotch ale. (O.G. 17.5 degrees Plato) If you are going to use peated make sure to back it up with a good base malt like Maris Otter.

0.07% = 8 ounces per bbl
      Mark Duchow
      Brew Master
      Short Fuse Brewing Co.
      Chicagoland
      "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Sauce
        I'd say no more than 1% of your total grist......its very potent stuff

Personally if you want that hint of smoke, I'd use standard german smoke ...

JackK
        I totally agree with Jack. I currently use belgium peat malt in a dry stout at around 6 %, where it still stigs out.

I am not a fan of peat malt, its flavors contribution to the beer is somehow liquerize and reminds of asphalt, very special..so use it carefully
        Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I would love to use German Rauch malt, but I am afraid it will make my Scottish ale taste like Polish Sausage. If I'm not mistaken, it has a different flavor? (Can someone verify or debunk this).

If I do choose to use it, how much per Bbl for subtle presence, as opposed to our pal, Peat.

Comment

Smokin'

In the past i have smoked my own malt, either in a rotisserie smoker, or in perforated buffet pans over a hickory grill. I had the best results from smoking 50 lbs of Vienna malt in a rotisserie smoker for three hours. The taste was notable but not overwhelming.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

Do not use Rauch malt!!!

Unless you like the flavor of bacon in your Scotch ale. I concur with the poster who says 1% Peat malt. Brewers Supply Group sells Simpsons peated malt and it will do the job. You could go 2% but you're flirting with a beer some folks just won't care for.

Use a very good Pale Ale malt as your base malt and be generous. I highly recommend using Carapils and Roasted Barley as the other malts. Draw off about a barrel of wort into your kettle and boil it for about 30 minutes and then finish your runoff as normal, boil the whole batch etc. The boiling of your 1st bbl of wort will give you a wonderful malty flavor, get the color you want without use of caramel malt. It will also be fairly traditional as well...

Cheers!

Tash

Comment

go ahead...dont be afraid

True, if its upwards of 30% of you grist...yes, you'll get that "Rauch" flavor.

After reviewing my recipes I was a little heavy handed with the 5-10%, the actual I used was about 2-3%. With this amount it will be in the background, barely discernible, adding complexity and that hint of smoke some like in their Scottish ales.

Rauch malt is not as intense as peat malt, hence the higher percentage (2-3% vs >1%) compared to peated malt. To get that "sausage in a glass" flavor of a typical Rauch bier you need 40%+.

JackK
                Last edited by Sauce; 09-13-2007, 09:26 PM.

Comment

More info

I really enjoyed reading this thread so far. Check out this thread for more opinions on this topic:

I believe the German Rauch Malt is smoked with beachwood. Remember that peat malt phenols are potent, Mr. Jay, and even when they are present in whisky they have been tamed/reduced through distillation and years of aging. Adding too much peat malt to an 80/- would make it taste like a wet band-aid.

Dave

Comment

smoked malt

I use ~ 1% of Weyerman Smoked Malt, and it works fine.
                    Fred

Comment

Working...
                    X