Carafa 1 versus Chocolate malt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carafa 1 versus Chocolate malt?

I am starting a simple Brown ale with a touch of ginger for the holidays. I have run out of Chocolate malt but do have Carafa 1 that I ordered by mistake in my last grain order. Can I sub the Carafa 1 for the chocolate? I use 8ozs of choc in this recipe? How much Carafa would I use in its place?....Thanks in advance for all your help!...Bob

Yes Carafa I is considered chocolate malt, but non the less I prefer UK made chocolate and roasted barley over Weyermanns- no offense to the Weyermanns who make great malts.

Fine for the color needed in a brown malt...
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

Carafa II

We use Carafa II in our lagers as well as ales. I recently ordered Muntons Chocolate too see if there is a difference. Taste wise I could not pick up any difference. However our British Pale Ale turned out considerably darker with the Muntons, even though Weyermans supposedly has a higher lovibond.

Comment

We use Carafa in both a stout and a amber/brown ale, and it can indeed be used instead of chocolate malt. It adds a very nice toasted flavor and aroma as well.
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Carafa

We use carafa 111 de-bittered in our beers and find it to be a wonderful malt. The de-bittered is nice. It has a nice flavor of coco, maybe not as pronounced but none of the harsh , acrid notes you can get with English cocos. This much I know.

Comment

Working...
          X