Help! City wants NSF listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! City wants NSF listing

Just when I think we are going to get our building permit for our brewpub the city throws me a curve ball. They want all my brewing equipment to be listed by the NSF or other type agency. Has anyone else encountered this? Is everyones systems listed by the NSF? I feel like I might be screwed here...any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Case Closed!

I was able to argue with the plans examiner that no brewery in the state had ever heard of needing the NSF stamp. He in turned called the state plumbing inspector and settled on installing a back flow device on the brewing system. Kinda wierd...I guess you just need to be cool and educate the city departments!

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my city inspection department is requiring my kettle to be UL / ETL...etc listed and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by uabericm
        Sorry to revive an old thread, but my city inspection department is requiring my kettle to be UL / ETL...etc listed and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.
        I am going through the same situation right now. My issue was with the chinese burner on my new direct fire kettle (from China). The electrical inspector won't sign off on my permit without a UL certification for the burner (it has none). The best i can tell is that it is a grey area. There are lots of industrial equipment sold in the US without UL (I know from a former life). However, my inspector is treating the burner as if it was a "plug and play" boiler burner. I couldn't find enough evidence in the code to argue with him (maybe you can). In the end I bought another US made burner that is UL and it should be here next week. The old burner is going back to China and I am being refunded for its cost. Net cost to me $0 and a week of time.

If you'd like to email me I can give you further details about the specific situation if your kettle is a new direct fire from a "certain" chinese manufacturer....

scott (at) blankslatebeer (dot) com
        Scott LaFollette
        Fifty West Brewing Company
        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Any update on these problems ?

Comment

I know this won't help you at all since you are starting a Brew Pub, But since I started a brewery I decided to put it in the middle of nowhere (In the Big Thicket at the end of a dirt road). The closest town is 7 miles away, they are in a different county and they are not even incorporated. The odds of being annexed is slim and none, and if they did, I would move the brewery. City inspectors are not in our business plan!
            Last edited by johnnymax; 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM.
            John McKissack
            Texas Big Beer Brewery
            Newton County, Texas

Comment

I wanted to update everyone. On August 2, 2012 I finally received my UL sticker. It only took 4 months. The biggest issue I ran into was our vent stack was not appropriate, so I had to order and install a larger vent system.

Comment

Working...
              X