moving spent grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving spent grain

Has anyone done this and will it work? From a 3rd floor brewhouse I will be dumping spent grain down a 12 in. pvc pipe, at almost vertical 3 ft. off vertical in a 10 ft drop, then out the front of the building at a sweeping 45 degree angle into the waiting receptical below.... sure make life a bit easier! anyone have experience or opinions on this?
    Thanks.

That sounds like it "could" be a real pain. No auger i presume? What kind of receptacle is it going to, can you flush the grain down with water?

I guess i just see it clogging if it is not a straight vertical drop, but a 12" pipe is pretty big.

Good Luck
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

the angle at the end is a bit troublesome to me, only because of the possibility of clog. But this sounds a lot like a construction site chute. Those work great. Only one way to find out....

Let us know how it works

John

Comment

I agree about the last angle. You will also want to make sure that you can flush/clean this or you will plenty of flies and oder.

Comment

One brewery that I worked I had to drop spent grain down a slide that was angled down 45-50 degrees.... length of slide was about 20' +/- ... it was about 18" wide and had about 4" of height on the side... it was a pain in the butt... messy, pain to keep an eye on the volume in the recepticle, change out the recepticle etc... I would do just about anything to avoid having to do that again.

Comment

Working...
          X