Timeframe for a startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeframe for a startup

So, I'm in the planning process right now. Ideally, I'd like to be starting my first batch by 8/1/2008 (but, I'm also realistic). At what point before opening did everyone start shopping equipment, brewers, etc? So far, I've been looking at real estate, have some money lined up, and have my business plan about 75% done (but not completely proofread and finalized).

I'd like to know about how far in advance is reasonable to start contacting suppliers, and probably a consultant, and have them take me seriously, yet, still give myself time to get everything done.

On a tight schedule
    finding realestate
    funding
    equipment etc...
    It took me 1.5 years. We open December 3rd.
    Remember even if you spend $25,000 on plans you still need to be onsite putting out fires daily so the project doesnt go WAY over budget....
    Good luck!

Josh Brewer

Comment

All in A years time

Right around a year from thought to pour!
      Good Luck!
      Grand Canyon Brewery
      "Should have been the #1 wonder of the world"

Comment

7 months

It took us seven months from business plan to beer glass. We had most of the money when we started. We did a lot of the build out ourselves, and only hired out floor drain plumbing, kettle vent stacks, and gas pipe work. The less I had to deal with contractors the happier I was. They either do a substandard job, or don't finish on schedule. The only exception would have to be my Refrigeration Tech. he gets things done when he says he will, his rates are reasonable and he does a good job.

Comment

6-8 months

We bought our brewing equipment 6 months before our project actually got moving. But once we had our bus. plan accepted and financial backing it took us 6 months. We had to add on to the existing building another 1000 square ft. But just like the others said we were there every day about 10-14 hrs doing what ever needed to be done (digging ditches,filling ditches,rediging ditches, refilling ditches,concrete work,plumbing,painting,plastering,etc.)but without us there Im sure it would have probably taken alot longer. Good luck with your project!!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the info. It always helps to hear other peoples real life timelines to make sure your's is realistic. Soon, I'll be able to return the favor to other hopefuls.

Josh, I've been keeping up with your site. I'm just a couple hours up I26 from you in Columbia. Good luck with your venture, it's great to see another SC startup.

It definantley sounds like I need to get my act in gear and get going. Ideally, I would love to keep my full time job until I'm almost open, but I'll be doing it the tough way. My fulltime job will become starting my dream.

Comment

Neckbone
              Feel free to contact me via email or phone...Really
              Josh

Comment

Well we have been searching for our site with an agent since January. Space is tight in our market and this phase has long passed the 3 months I thought it would take to secure a location. I figure 1.5 years from start to open and we were fully funded from day 1 and ready to go. I would say the minimum is a year, time flies fast and there are many things that can't be rushed!

PS. You need to look into the hop and grain situation that is upon our industry. Hop contract is a must and malted grain might require the same soon. There are not enough hops on the planet in 2007 for the world demand. If you don't contract, I am afraid that by late 2008 you will not be able to even buy hops (and if so, be ready for $20+ per pound). I am not sure if you still can get a decent contract but I would be talking to some hop brokers fast! Thankfully I was able to secure a contract, hard to do when you still don't know your final recipe details and product mix but I took an educated guess. It sure beats not getting any hops. Be prepared to pay for them all up front too! I think the situation in 2008 is going to be worse than the bad deal it already looks like...I hope I am wrong. I would hate to see you open your brewery and call to order hops and have them tell you there are no more! Also, you might want to adjust your COGS data in your projections. Hops that were $4.00/pound earlier this year are $10-12/pound now (if you can get them, many varieties are already sold out). Malted grain that was $0.30/pound is more like $0.40/pound and maybe going up more. This is a significant increase in costs that needs to be factored for.

-Beaux
                Last edited by beauxman; 10-14-2007, 01:57 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Working...
                X