River Water, not what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Water, not what you think

Last night at the pub we had a group of ladies from Germany who mixed our Imperial Pale Ale with Sprite, they called it River Water and claimed it tasted, quote, "Perfect!"

I feel inspired by some of these combinations, do you come across this?
    Mark Duchow
    Brew Master
    Short Fuse Brewing Co.
    Chicagoland
    "The best beer is FREE beer"

I was turned on to radler this summer and totally dig it with any pils and either Tom Collins mix or Canada Dry Bitter lemon soda.

Thanks,

Tom
    ECBC

Comment

Red bull and a light lag 50/50 sounds strange but tastes good

Comment

Oh my Gawd...

first we let those dreaded homebrewers in and now we're mixing stuff with our beer. What has ProBrewer come to?

I keed, have a great weekend...
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Alsterwasser

The ladies were referring to "Alsterwasser" which is the common name in north Germany for the 50/50 mix. In middle/south Germany it's called a Radler (Bicyclist). I believe that the British call it a Shandy.

There is an explosion if these mixed drinks in Germany, mostly targeted at the 18-25 group (yes, one is allowed to drink these beverages and "regular" beer at 18 years old). They are generally 2,5% APV and german brewers are finally getting the chance (or better, are forced to) to be more creative.

I personally do not like these concoctions, but they are quite "in" right now. Binding/Schöfferhofer just brought out a weizen mix with grapefruit juice. Very refreshing in the summer, I must admit.

Comment

It has been years since I was there, but when I was in Germany (ULM) the mix beer drink of choice was ColaWiezen. Half coke half Wiezen.

Comment

Belgian wit with grapefruit is great, Hefe with cran is almost as good, And if all ya got is some PBR...... hit it with some Squirt. I love PBR and Squirt.

Some people will give ya shit for mixing.....but so what. Drink what ya like.

Comment

If you are worried about the homebrewers, imagine how the big boys think about us...Look what they have been driven to..
                Attachment courtesy of David Rapoport
                Attached Files

Comment

Whiskry Tango Foxtrot!?

Bud and Clamato? A "bloody beer" is a mix of tomato juice and a light lager, In my younger days I had the 50/50 mix with PBR if a bloody mary could not be found the morning after.
                  Mark Duchow
                  Brew Master
                  Short Fuse Brewing Co.
                  Chicagoland
                  "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Comment

Hang on while I stop gagging.

Have a friend who puts a splash of coke in his beer much to my annoyance.

Have another who drinks sake and grapefruit juice. Quite refreshing actually.

Pax.

Liam
                      Liam McKenna
                      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

soft drinks & beer

As someone who ordered a "Radler" in Bavaria once not knowing what it is and who worked at several beer festivals in Yorkshire and had to deal with requests of "Bitter Shandy"(bitter ale with ginger ale), "lager tops" (lager with a squirt of black currant or lime cordial), and other nonsense...... I express a heartfelt...YUCK!!!!

T
                        Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                        Vancouver, B.C.
                        Canada

Comment

Stout with blackcurrant is quite nice....if you're only learning

Comment

Demi-panche

While I was down in the islands a few years ago the only beer choice was presidente, I found that adding some lime juice and a splash of seltzer was quite good and cut the vile flavors. In France a very popular mix of carbonated lemonade and lager or leffe is drank, and actually really refereshing on those hot days when the weak-kneed are drinking water.
                            Dan Rudy
                            Soul Brewer
                            Milly's Tavern
                            Manchester, NH

Asking someone their favorite beer style is like asking a parent to choose their favorite child, some will do it but what does it say of their character?

Comment

reviving this old thread

anyone know of a brewpub selling shandys in the US?
                              www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Working...
                              X