Bristish balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristish balls

Not sure if this belongs here or under processes and techniques.

My 2 row British malt seems to lump up in the mash tun, unlike any other malt I work with. This holds true for Breiss and Muntons. Anybody know what's going on? Is it me?

I've found the same thing with changing malts: some will ball up more than others. 6-row vs. 2-row for example. I bought a set of screens to do an ASBC/EBC sieve analysis and solved those problems. Now I change the gaps on my mill, as well as the roller speed (via a VFD-controlled outlet that I also use for a beer transfer pump), and now I get textbook crushes. And better yields without astringency. Those screens are worth the investment. And you'll know you're doing everything as best you can. Worth the trouble to sleep better. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I have always referred to it as clumping. We have used both maris otter and golden promise for years, and those two seem to clump more than North American 2-row. It only seems to become prevalent towards the end of the dough-in when the mash is somewhat thicker. I have assumed it was a factor of the increased friability of British highly-modified malts, but maybe a moderator can chime in here with a better answer. We just make sure to hydrate properly and use the paddle as necessary to break them up and get a good mix.

Comment

doh balls

I have not had a problem with "doh balls" in a few years, but I always blamed it on too fine of a mill setting, combined with improper hydration. As previously mentioned, use that paddle as a quick fix, but i would check on your mill setting (i like the screens idea, may have to look into that myself) and make sure your grist hydrater is working properly too.
        Last edited by Jephro; 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM. Reason: clarification
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Doh Boy!

I found this Once on a switch to Pauls malt. Turns out though the kernal size was close, it was much more friable (cracked easier) Thus alot more powder. A small mill adjustment solves the problem. Friability and standard screen results should be on your spec. sheets.
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Does it have anything to do with Continental malts picking up humidity on the trip over?

Comment

Working...
            X