wax dipping bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax dipping bottles

I have never tried to wax dip my 750ml bottles before and would like to give it a shot.

Can anyone recomend a wax supplier and any tips on how to go about doing it with out too much hassel.

thanks,

Scott
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Do you have a bulk honey supplier close by? If so, the wax is a waste product for them, and they'd usually sell it off by the pound. I just bought 20 lbs to do our barley wine for christmas.

We use a crock pot to warm up the wax overnight. Then the next morning we add small chunks to bring the temperature into range for the right consistency (thickness on the bottle). You can dye the wax any colour and it smells wonderful on the bottle.

Comment

do you need to let it sit over night to get to the right consistency or will it heat up in a few hours.

what do you mean by adding a chunk the next day to get the right temp and consistency...do you judge that by how well it sticks to the bottle?

thanks,

Scott
      Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
      Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
      Elmsford, NY
      www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

You don't need to let it sit overnight, it's just then it's ready to go in the a.m. when you're bottling, so you wax on the fly.

I would heat up about 5 liters worth of wax then temper it back for thickness on the bottle. You could use a double boiler to get the wax to melt quicker, but I found the crock pot keeps the wax warm without the issue of any water getting into it at all.

Your supplier should be able to tell you the melting point for the wax.

Check out how cool it looks:
        Last edited by rudge75; 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM.

Comment

There is also some special wax made just for this purpose. It has a higher melting point is is very plastic-like when dried. Comes in little pellets. It's been so long since I used it I don't even recall the brand, let alone who I ordered it from, sorry.

I melted it on a double boiler, dip and twist while you upright the bottle to get an even wax coat. The crock pot is an excellent idea, as after about 45 minutes I had to reheat the wax. If you are doing a very limited run, you can imprint your logo on the wax by hand with a plaster stamp of sorts.
          fungus rules the earth

Comment

We wax dip 750's and I have one observation. When I cut the wax away I actually get a pfffttt. I put it down to the wax actually stopping some sort of exchange. Carbonation level is as bottled...
            Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
            Chairman of the Beer
            Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
            Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
            W: www.lovibonds.com
            F: LovibondsBrewery
            T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Working...
            X