Help a fellow brewer a pound at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a fellow brewer a pound at a time

I've been seeing posts more frequently here and on the BA forum from people looking to trade/buy hops, sometimes fairly large quantities. With the hop situation being what it is, most folks are looking to just barely cover their needs, those with a bit of excess are hesitant to sell (I'm kicking myself for selling Perle back earlier this year for $5/#) and those who relied on the spot market can be finding themselves out in the cold for a few months. Can I sell or trade you 440# Centenial? No. How about a pound or 2? Sure. After answeing a post about needing hops today, offering what was in my mind just some odds and ends I had kicking around, I was pleased to find out it would really be a big help. A couple pounds here and there might seem insignificant to us with signed contracts and inventory, but could make a small brewpub's week.

Here's my idea, which I'm going to propose on the BA forum, as well as to the San Diego Brewers Guild. Organize a group of people, as I'm trying to do here, 12 to 20 would be pretty great, or contact your existing group (guild, homebrew club) who are willing to part with a pound or two. Find a colleague in dire need (or them find you via forum etc) and see what would help them out. Sell said hops at face value plus shipping, then redistribute the cash equivelant to the group members, better yet, have a party as a reward for being a good neighbor. I'm not sure if there could be tax or resale isues, hopefully someone out there will advise if that's the case.
    So, A- would this help anyone out in the short-term? B- Who is willing to participate/organize such a thing in their area? I'm in for 2 pounds if it's deemed a worthwhile and feasible effort. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Matt
    Matt Walsh

Trust me a little helps!

Hi I'm the one Matt and so many others helped out yesterday. I had been looking for hops for three weeks and lossing alot of sleep thinking production would stop and the brewery would close down. I started yesterday with no hops and after the kindness of so many strangers selling me or trading me a few pounds at a time I will be ok untill the first of the year. Small brewpubs who were buying spot hop (my friends and I) usally only buy hops for a few brews ahead of time and when no one would sell us hops for three weeks well I know alot of brewpubers are in the spot I was in. It dosn't matter the kind of hop or the amount in times like this a little gose a long way. Thanks again to Matt and every one who offered to help it really means alot.

jamie

Comment

Working...
    X