Missouri Law Clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Law Clarification

I am researching the possiblity of self distribution and I was wandering if anyone is familiar with Missouri State Law. From what I have read in the tax laws, a micro-brewery can wholesale, distribute and retail in a tap room. Are my interpretations right?
    Cheers, Santé, Prost, Ching-ching...which ever language you may speak!

To know more about me, visit my professional website:
    http://www.billbensing.com

Man, I don't know anything about Missouri, but I really suggest you get hooked up with your state's alcoholic beverage control circus and really get a straight answer. I'm in Pennsylvania and I not only read the laws myself (and I'm not dummy), but I also called and talked to the PA Liquor Control Board on several occasions and asked point blank: "Can I sell retail pints in my tasting room with only a brewer's license?" All the answers I got indicated that I could. When the PLCB investigator showed up to review our application, I asked the same question again, and ONLY THEN did I discover that we have to get a separate retail beverage license. With that license, we also MUST serve food that constitutes a full meal which means an additional health license from the PA Dept. of Agriculture. Get this: if we apply for a brewpub or bar retail beverage license, we would have to have a full kitchen on site; if we apply for a RESTAURANT retail beverage license, we don't have to have a kitchen at all. Who writes this shit?

Anyway, this is not the kind of thing you want to find out in a meeting with your application investigator while you're covered in sawdust from building your tasting room. We've changed our strategy and we'll be fine, but that was definitely information that would have been useful when I was still in the planning stages. Don't accept answers from other breweries, secretaries at your alchoholic beverage control circus, or even ABC agents. Contact the legal ring of your ABC circus and get a straight, definitive answer. Do this for ALL state ABC circus questions.

Best wishes and I'll drink to your battle against the bureaucrats. Keep your head down and shoot straight.
    Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
    Strangeways Brewing
    2277-A Dabney Road
    Richmond, VA 23230
    804-303-4336
    www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

I lived in MO most of my life, I do believe you are correct about the self distribution if you are licensed to do so. The retail i am not so sure about in a non-brewpub setting. You may give a call to O'fallon Brewing Company, or just stop by if you are in the St. Louis area. Brian, the Head Brewer is a nice and very knowledgeable guy. They brew in a warehouse, self distribute, and have a small Tap Room. It's right off I-70 in an industrial park and can be a little difficult to find, but it's worth the trip.

mmm, i have a sudden craving for an O'fallon Smoked Porter...and a Schlafly Coffee Stout. Look out St. Louis I'll be home in 6 weeks!
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro
        I lived in MO most of my life, I do believe you are correct about the self distribution if you are licensed to do so. The retail i am not so sure about in a non-brewpub setting. You may give a call to O'fallon Brewing Company, or just stop by if you are in the St. Louis area. Brian, the Head Brewer is a nice and very knowledgeable guy. They brew in a warehouse, self distribute, and have a small Tap Room. It's right off I-70 in an industrial park and can be a little difficult to find, but it's worth the trip.

mmm, i have a sudden craving for an O'fallon Smoked Porter...and a Schlafly Coffee Stout. Look out St. Louis I'll be home in 6 weeks!
        Thanks for the advice, I grew up in St. Peters and my parents still live their. O'Fallon Gold and the 5-day IPA are in my top 5 beers! Small world...
        Cheers, Santé, Prost, Ching-ching...which ever language you may speak!

To know more about me, visit my professional website:
        http://www.billbensing.com

Comment

Working...
        X