DE Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE Filtration

Does anyone care to share their experience with Sil-Kleer fitration media? I'm interested in the product as a replacement for DE, but don't want to trial the stuff blind. Thanks for any help!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

I switched to Sil-Kleer grade 27M some years ago. It works great and has less health and disposal risks as DE. Sil-Kleer Perlite is lighter by volume as DE. With the 27M you would use 66% of your DE weight. Being lighter it is also fluffier and stays in suspension better than DE.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Silkleer

We have been using the 23S for over a year now with no problems. We only package our beer in kegs, and do not distribute over a very wide area, but i have not become aware of any stablity problems. As long as the beer is not extememely ditry we get very easy filtrations and are able to get 40bbl through the filter in about 3 hours.

good luck,

Scott
      Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
      Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
      Elmsford, NY
      www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

What differences can one expect using 23S vs. 27M?

Comment

23s vs 27

the 23S is a coarser grade, about 7 micron and the 27 is a 3 micron rating. I have spoken with a freind who was using the 23s but switched over due to the formation of some haze in his draft products. I have had no problems with any haze formation and continue to use the 23s

good luck,

Scott
          Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
          Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
          Elmsford, NY
          www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

I don't know how many times I've got to say this....perlite is JUST as bad for you as DE.... if you aren't wearing a mask you're gonna' be in trouble. DE filters better for bright beer, perlite is slightly cheaper and lighter.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

I thought that you could use less DE than perlite because there are more holes in it? Also thought that DE could give your beer off flavors?

Comment

you can use less de by volume due to the "extra holes". Anything can give beer off flavors. The thing to watch for in DE is beer soluble Iron. Get a grade that has low beer soluble iron (like celite 512Z) and you are fine. Perlite can give off flavors too.
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

So, where can I get it? GW Kent quotes ridiculous shipping prices. Someone else has to carry it.
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I get mine from Cargill. It comes with my malt shipments. Cargill stocks Grades 23 & 27.
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                    X