silica Gel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silica Gel

We use silica gel during DE filtration. The contact time is short and it shortens the filter run. Now I would like to add the silica gel in lagering tank. One idea is to dose in during transfer from primary fermenter (open). I have no experience in this topic. So I am wondering how other do?

cheers
    Bjorn

You could mix up the silica slurry, and then blow it into the transfer line, post pump. If you have a 'grundy' tank or even a soda tank its pretty easy, if you don't there are several options... If you have a top door mounted FV, You could drop the silica into the FV...or have the silica mixed and waiting in the next tank.

Hope this helps,

GOOSE

Comment

Hello Bjorn,

We fix a T fitting with a couple of valves to the intake side of our transfer pump, and slowly add the slurry as we transfer from the fermentation vessel into the conditioning tank, when such finning is necessary.

Cheers,
      Ron
      Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Dosing during transfer or merely having silica gel slurry in tank before transfer starts both work well.

you may wish to think about changes to your filter matrix by leaving out the Silica hydrogel.

Pax.

Liam McKenna
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Another idea is to use a product made by ISP. It is called polyclar brewbrite. The nice thing I ahve found out about it is that you use it is your KETTLe during boil. It still works the same for us compared to adding gels during transfer, ubt without the hassle of pH, temp, and slurry mixing!

Cheers
          DEREK

Comment

were you adding the gel to the pre-coat or the body feed? We switched to the pre-coat on the advice of the manufacture and have had better results.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

Hey Larry,

That's an interesting idea, adding the silca gel to the precoat. Do you add the entire amount during precoat, and omit any other additions? What differences did you see? And what particular brand are you using?

Thanks,
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Hey!

two meter filter, using 2 pounds DE and 1 pound silica for pre coat. We mix it and put it all in at once. We have used 2 different gels with good results: BG6 silica zero gel and now we are using Polyclar 730 (pvpp and zero gel blend) if we use it in the pre-coat there is no noticable change in filter runs. Try it out, seems to work well.
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
                X