Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vienna malt subs for ...?

Hey now...

After a run of a seasonal Pale Ale, I have 25# of Vienna malt left over. What can I use this a substitute for? (I work for a small 7 bbl brewpub, but must adhere to corporate recipes, so I can't just make up something.) What is American Vienna closest to?

Thanks and cheers
    KMafooz

Check out the maltsters website of the brand you have for specifics. Vienna is like Munich.

Tom

ECBC

Comment

Originally posted by ECB
      Check out the maltsters website of the brand you have for specifics. Vienna is like Munich.
      ECBC
      Only lighter, in most cases by half.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Vienna can be used as a sub for Munich or visversa, Just remeber that Munich is a bit darker than Vienna.
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

I buy my malts at Castle Malting in Belgium, recently I asked for Vienna Malt but they only only do it, if they get in an order of 5 tons, and then they said that most clients will they buy their Pale Malt to substitute Vienna.

so maybe you use your american vienna to substitute the Pale Malt?
          Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
            Vienna can be used as a sub for Munich or visversa, Just remeber that Munich is a bit darker than Vienna.
            I find the Vienna I have used in the past gives me more of a "grassy" flavor and doesn't give me the "caramel/malty" flavors I usually get with the Munich malts I have used in the past. Not a big difference but it was most noticeable in my Marzens. It may have been the Vienna I was using. I believe it was Briess and the Munich was Weyermans. On lighter style beers I have sub's Vienna for Munich and not seen much difference but the Grist % was much smaller than with the Marzens. Just my $0.03.

Comment

vienna substitution

If you're at a 7bbl brewpub and you want to rid yourself of these extra 25# of Vienna - I would just sub it in for your pale base malt in a house beer. If it is on the slightly darker side of the Vienna spectrum, then of course make necessary color adjustments in your grist bill. Odds are, nobody will ever tell the difference. I've brewed house IPAs at a brewpub with entire vienna substitutions for the pale, as an experiment for my own knowledge gain, and no customer seemed to notice. Plus, as one poster commented - if you do notice a "grassy" character from the malt [which I have not experienced] it would be concealed or complimented by the high hopping of your IPA [assuming that you brew one...]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
                Vienna is definitely NOT like a munich malt. Aside from the colour, munich is prepared very differently in the malthouse to develop the precursors to melanoiden development which are then brought out in the kilning - hence the rich malty flavours and aromas.

Vienna malt, as others have indicated, is very similar to a good tasty ale malt, usually kilned off at a higher temp than a pale malt but exhibiting the characteristics of a base malt. Offerings will vary slightly from maltster to maltster. Colour is usually around 8-12 EBC (4-6 SRM)

Wes

Comment

We have a marzen we make as a regular brew using both Munich and Vienna malt, and while they are a little different, I wouldn't say they're so far off. We've brewed it with no noticeable changes using different ratios of Munich vs. Vienna. Vienna to me is a little more sharp in its sweetness, where Munich is more robust.

I'll agree that you can use it in just about anything as a pale malt, and 25 pounds in a 7 bbl batch won't make much of a difference anyway. If you want to add a little bit of a honey-like kick to a pale/blond beer, it would work well.
                  www.devilcraft.jp
                  www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Working...
                  X