Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labeling options with Meheen's

Hello all,
    Just wondering what you've done to set up automatic labeling with a meheen system?

Up till now, we've been bottling on a rudimentary single head filler - hand labelling with pressure sensitive labels has been all we needed. Now that we're stepping up to a 4 head filler, I'd like to get really organized so the guys don't have to peel and stick their days away.

Suggestions, warnings and direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    David Rudge
    Half Pints Brewing Company

Hey David,

It depends on the type of labels. Cold glue cut-and-stack labels can be applied after bottling, and a simple body label machine, used, would run you about $12k. The labels themselves are cheaper in the long run. We use this style and after you get it dialed in, it's not much of a problem. A pressure-sensitive labeller will work after the bottler if you have the right adhesive but I've seen a lot of brewers label the bottles before filling when using pressure sensitive labels. Meheen has a labeller they recommend for pressure-sensitive on their website.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Linus,
      I like the look of our current pressure sensitive labels and had seen reccomendations on the "pimp my meheen" thread about pre-labeling. I'd like to keep using the PS, but if the cold glue's going to give me more longevity and savings, I'd switch.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to chime in...

Comment

we run a world tandem labeler with our meheen. cold glue labels are cheap. world tandem labelers are practically free, but plan on sinking a few grand over the years in fabricating spare parts/fixing it. a good option if your budget is low.

cheers,
        sam

Comment

We also use a World Tandem.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

World Tandem baby...Rock on.

Comment

We use an old E.L.F. labeler. Not many of them around anymore though. Self-adhesive labels applied pre-fill. Works out well for us. We used to (shutter!) hand-label all our bottles the day before a bottling run. It was kinda' like an Amish barn-raising: everybody was pulled in to help, including my then four year old! Hand labeling sucks!

Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I have an Inline Webmaster 1000 that was designed to work with the Meheen. It is a pressure sensitive labeler and while the labels are a little more expensive they are SO MUCH EASIER to deal with. No glue and setup and teardown take less that 30 seconds.

My Meheen feed directly off the outfeed table onto the labeler and the whole setup takes just 6'x10' of floor space (approximately).

I set the same system up for the Bogota Beer Company in Columbia and the newer InLine's are REALLY nice.

Mike Pensinger
                Mike Pensinger
                General Manager/Brewmaster
                Parkway Brewing Company
                Salem, VA

Comment

As much as I'd love to say I'd have the time to "deal" with a world tandem, I'd rather not put something in I have to fiddle with every day.

I am leaning towards a PS system of some sort so we don't have to do a full re-mod of the labels, etc. Does the PS work well after the filler? ie - no wrinkly labels, no dropped labels, etc.

Comment

We run 4-6000 bottles at a time and do experience a few dropped labels but nothing that is a huge problem. The key is the glue on your labels. I have a great label company that has worked with us to get it right (and they do great work).

The key is getting all the adjustments right on the machine. Once that is set you can really crank them out.

Feel free to call me if you have any other questions. 757-839-7439
                    Mike Pensinger
                    General Manager/Brewmaster
                    Parkway Brewing Company
                    Salem, VA

Comment

Hi Dave. I second the motion on the World Tandem: they are cheap, they are almost bullet proof, and unless you are changing bottle sizes all the time they require very little tweaking beyond the initial set-up. We used one for years with our Meheen and it was rock solid. We are now using one with a CIMEC and it is still rock solid. I'm not sure about using it for necks, but Wild Rose is applying necks with theirs.

Cheers!
                      --Neil Herbst
                      Alley Kat Brewery

Comment

So,
                        I went with a used Generic Manufacturing labeler. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the manual, and I think the photo eye is FUBAR, as I'm having a hell of a time to get the label feed to kick in in a timely fashion. I can reach into the base of the machine and hit the tiny "test" button on the electronics panel - which painfully slowly feeds a label onto the belt (1 bottle per 30 seconds).

Does anyone have a manual they could e-mail/fax me?
                        info@halfpintsbrewing.com or (204)632-7702

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the feed problem might be.

Comment

In response to your problem with the Generic Labeler, I can probably help you unless your model is completely different than ours. Our bottle present sensor has a small programmable interface that adjusts for the sensitivity levels. Too sensitive and a particle of dust or water spray will feed a label, not sensitive enough and you end up with your current problem.

Follow the two wires down from the "photo eye" to the interface. The interface has a smoked plastic cover you can lift up and you should see two vertical rows of lights that indicate the current settings. As I am currently at home, it is hard to recall the exact positioning of the adjustment devices so feel free to call me at the brewery Monday and I'd be happy to go over these settings as well as any other questions you might have.

Cheers,

Phil
                          603-672-2750
                          Last edited by philjewett; 03-22-2008, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Phil,
                            Thanks for the quick response. I did get the machine to finally kick out some labels. The problem was the label speed dial interface. Seems that the old dial was dusty and just needed a good scrubbing and a little electrical connection cleaner to clean out the junk.

Suddenly it sprang to life and shot out like 50 labels. Eureka, we have labels on bottles.

I fiddled a bit with the gain on the photo/label sensor to get it to sense out labels a bit better - they're not full wraps, even though the machine was tuned for a full body wrap.

210,000 hand labeled bottles later, we've just set foot into a new era.

Still, if anyone has the manual, I'd love to take a peek.

Comment

I do not have a manual else I would have been happy to copy and send to you.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X