Seeking to hire experineced malster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking to hire experineced malster

Seeking to hire experienced maltster Virginia micro-malting facility nearing completion. Extensive knowledge of malting as well as brewing experience would be helpful. Call Barry at 434/531-7362 (Nelson County Virginia)

hello barry -

Sounds like you are getting somewhere ...glad to see your moving forward .
    lijah - lbeer2@rocketmail.com
    cheers,

Lijah Foregger
    lbeer2@rocketmail.com

Comment

Yeah, Lijah! The malt house has turned into first phase. Should be able to do 8,000 to 10,000 pounds every 4-5 days (depending on how the kiln works with static pressure). Farm brewery is still in the plans, it will be phase 2. I've got 45 acres of 2 row barley going in the ground next week for harvest early next summer. Until then I'll be malting 6 row thoroughbred barley to get things moving along. How are things with you? What part of the world are you in now? Someplace tropical, I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Ridge Farm View Post
        Yeah, Lijah! The malt house has turned into first phase. Should be able to do 8,000 to 10,000 pounds every 4-5 days (depending on how the kiln works with static pressure). Farm brewery is still in the plans, it will be phase 2. I've got 45 acres of 2 row barley going in the ground next week for harvest early next summer. Until then I'll be malting 6 row thoroughbred barley to get things moving along. How are things with you? What part of the world are you in now? Someplace tropical, I hope!
        Well awsome my freind.
        Yep im in the florida keys. One day id love to come check you out. Its a little cold there for me or I would come give you a hand. Currentlt im just consulting via phone.
        Glad your dream is comeing a reality
        cheers,

Lijah Foregger
        lbeer2@rocketmail.com

Comment

Sorghum?

Have you considered growing sorghum? It is almost impossible (if not impossible) to obtain malted sorghum in the United States. There is a market for it. I am growing it in Ettrick, VA. It sure is easy. I have also conducted malting trials. Gluten free products are gaining momentum.

Mike Brandt
          Virginia State University

Comment

Love to see ya...especially if you know any thing about malting, I'd like to see you sooner rather than later. I have an apartment attached to the malt house available and I just finished a beautiful cabin on the river that I use occasionally for trout fishing but is a great place to stay. If not, whenever it's convenient or you're heading this way, be sure to call me and we can get together on farm brewery plans.
            Give me a call sometime.
            Thanks,
            Barry
            434/531-7362

Comment

Hey Mike,
              I have grown sorghum, haven't malted any yet. Once I get fully underway, I intend to give the gluten-free market a good shot.
              Last edited by Wood Ridge Farm; 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Mike, If you have any sorghum suitable for malting, I'd like to buy some from you to do some trial malting and some R&D for the brewing side of it. Ive put together quite a few 40 gallon mashtons and brew kettles for trial batches of all sorts of grains that I can grow and malt here. When you have time, give me a call at 434/531-7362. I'd like to get some sorghum and see what other grains you might be growing.
                Thanks,
                Barry

Comment

We are growing 45 varieties for yield data over about 2 acres. All of our harvest has to be Sent to Suffolk, VA. I will check to see if any growers are interested in selling.

Comment

Originally posted by lijah View Post

Well awsome my freind.
                    Yep im in the florida keys. One day id love to come check you out. Its a little cold there for me or I would come give you a hand. Currentlt im just consulting via phone.
                    Glad your dream is comeing a reality
                    Ever wonder where our barley is grown, how it's transported, or what occurs so that it becomes the Finest Handcrafted Malt? Feeling a techy need to know more about steeping, germination, lab testing, or other malting processes...

Comment

Working...
                    X