Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulfuring barrels or filling them

Hi,

We just took delivery of a bunch used red wine barrels. They are sulfured from the winery and dry.

We will not use them in the next couple of months. The cooperage who sold us the barrels says we will be fine if we just sulfur it every 3-4 weeks.

I am aware the safe route would probably be to fill them with a citric basic/Sodium-metabisulfite solution, but I would like to avoid it unless it is necessary since it is a lot of water we will waste.

So: should I be nice to environment or play safe?

-Christian

I personally would fill them so they do not dry out. You will waste just as much water trying to get them to swell and reseal.
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

Comment

Originally posted by beermkr View Post
      I personally would fill them so they do not dry out. You will waste just as much water trying to get them to swell and reseal.
      Mike, that is a good point, Thanks.

Comment

Meh. But then they're heavy and a PITA to move around. Sulfur them every month until you actually need them and you can store them on their sides, upright, stacked, whatever, wherever. Then a day or two before you need them, swell them.

If you don't plan to move them much, or you can easily do so, and you have racks available, then wet is fine too. But remember that you still should top up the barrels every month with more solution, and, here's the big one, ideally alternately rotate the barrel 45 degrees so the bung area doesn't dry out. Which can be difficult if they're stacked, and they weigh more than 500lbs each full so it takes two to shove them around. Oh, and the holding solution will etch concrete so make sure to wash it off.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
        X