Can I use R/O water in my boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use R/O water in my boiler?

Our boiler vendor wants to sell us a water softening system for use with the boiler. I understand the need to remove hardness to prevent scaling. But our R/O filter already removes Ca and Mg, so could I just use that? Would there possibly be an issue with pitting/corrosion if the water is too 'clean'?

You may use RO water along with a chemical dosing system, assuming that you are reusing condensate. You will need a properly installed backflow preventer, at the minimum, to segregate boiler water from drinking water. You'll also need a way to get the RO into the condensate tank when the tank calls for water. That's usually the place to install the chemical injection. Regular, frequent blowdowns & monthly feedwater chemistry checks are also required.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

All great points, thank you. What chemicals would need to be dosed? I would be reusing the condensate.

Comment

Well, it turns out that using R/O water will require some accessories that will cost $15K USD, so... will be going with the water softener for sure.

Comment

Don't use RO Water for boiler feed water - unless you are an expert level operator! The fact is that RO water is extremely aggressive and will cause corrosion in your boiler tubes and throughout your piping and steam distribution equipment. Now of course you can add chemical...but in my experience chemical drums run out, pumps fail, and you really want a fail-safe set up where if your experienced ace goes on vacation or leaves the company, there's just too much of a risk that the water is not being treated...stick with GAC filtered water and use softened water with an injection pump - use a blended chemical for amines/caustic so that you're only having to manage inventory for a single chemical. Talk to your boiler company and chemical company so they can educate you as to their products and proper usage.

Comment

You should already have a softener treating your RO feedwater - no?
            Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
            Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Working...
            X