Water consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water consumption

How much water would you estimate, goes "down the drain" in your brewery?

I've seen the JVNW website with the 6-8 bbl's water required/bbl of beer produced, was wondering if anyone would share their practical experience. I'm trying to figure out the feasibility/sizing of a commercial septic system that would handle a 7-10 bbl system brewing a couple of times/week.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Craig.

I estimate about 5 bbls water per bbl, I am very conservative and in a 10 bbl 2X/week cycle. I use tight(short and powerful) rinses, and keep them discreet(full drain out between rinses), and use 4 rinses after caustic. I will run the acid wash from tank to tank, as well as the sani, thus using less. A caustic reserve tank helps a lot by re-using your caustic. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ray,

Thanks for the input, unfortunately, I don't think the property in question will work out. The State of Texas says I would need a public water supply well and the septic engineer didn't paint a very pretty picture ($$$). I think I may have found a warehouse space that will work; no zoning with city water and sewage. Your info is helpful to work the numbers at this location.

Craig.

Comment

more accurate would be 9 bbls h2o for every bbl bright beer...this can be even more if you are using water for wort cooling, do you scavenge this? Best way to estimate is measure how many gallons your water pressure dispenses in a minute, then with time measure your rinsing cycles and so forth...water is the most important resource and yet often most overlooked

Comment

It is very feasable to waste two or less gallons per gallon on beer sold. Yes, and it does require persistent improvement to the design of your brewery and intelligence and dedication by the brewers.

As clean water is growing scarcer, and wastewater costs are spiraling out of control, this is a topic that is increasingly critical.

Just as you conserve gasoline or energy when price goes up, the same mindset must be used towards water.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Dhonau
            How much water would you estimate, goes "down the drain" in your brewery?

I've seen the JVNW website with the 6-8 bbl's water required/bbl of beer produced, was wondering if anyone would share their practical experience. I'm trying to figure out the feasibility/sizing of a commercial septic system that would handle a 7-10 bbl system brewing a couple of times/week.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Craig.
            During the bottle sanatizinging process is another huge water loss. We recently built a capture and recycle recovery system that allows us to recycle 90% of our bottle sanatizing water. Prior, we used to let it run down the drain over 2 shifts. We change the 150 gallon tank out every other day.

Comment

Has anyone done an environmental audit for a brewpub or micro that they would be willing to share? I'm building now and the amount of water I use is a major concern. It's not a regulatory concern, I'd just like to be as efficient and as environmentally sound as I can.

Thanks,
              John

Comment

ENERGY STAR makes it easy for consumers and businesses to save money and protect the environment.

Here is a paper that someone else pointed me to. I have not read it yet so I cannot speak for any of the info in it.

Comment

re-use is vital

We haven't done any hard measurements, but with major attention to water re-use we are pretty sure we've got our water use down to 2.5:1. Water used for wort cooling is held and re-used for all our cleaning and sanitizing needs, plus we installed a heat-on-demand system that uses only this water source for mash water. Hand washing, re-using both cleaners and sanitizers, timing tank cleaning so that you can do this... and NOT bottling. Single biggest waste of water in a brewery, as far as I can tell.

The other issue is how well any wastewater system will cope with your chemicals. Digesters of any sort will be very unhappy with both caustic and yeast. Both need to be treated before they hit the drain. Yeast can easily be killed by blending with sanitizer (which is easy, since you've just used it to clean the finishing tank into which you're transferring), and caustic will have to be pH balanced. A pre-digester/pre-septic holding tank will allow you to get your wastewater pH balanced before it goes into the actual digester. You can also use alternative chemicals like PWB from Five-Star which is actually helpful to digesters, and use Peroxyacetic Acid as a sanitizer.

Unfortunately, there are very few city engineers out there who will understand this stuff, you need to get it all drawn up by an engineer who does get it in order to impress them.
                  Crannóg Ales
                  Canada's Certified Organic, on-farm microbrewery
                  www.crannogales.com

Comment

I apologize to whoever put this together. I copied it, but don't have the original author. Looks like 33 BBLs of water for 10 BBLs of beer. Notice 2.5 BBLs into spent grain.

Brewery Space Requirements:
                    Average production brewery with bottling=1.25-1.75 SF/BBL/Year
                    Minimum production brewery start-up size requirements: 5,000 square feet industrial space with 20' ceilings, loading dock, good truck access, 3 phase power, city gas main
                    Average pub brewery plant with in-house sales only=.06-1.0 SF/BBL/Year (not including restaurant)
                    Minimum brewpub size requirements: 3,000 square feet in retail area with ample parking and/or high foot traffic
                    Energy Use:
                    Brewpubs:
                    Electrical: 10-15 KWH/BBL
                    Chiller: 8-20 BTU /BBL
                    Natural gas: 1.3 therms/BBL
                    Ingredients (averages for all malt beers):
                    Water usage: 3.0-7.0 BBL per BBL of beer sold
                    Malt: 45-60 #/BBL
                    Hops: 0.5-0.8 #/BBL
                    Water Usage Breakdown for Pub Breweries:
                    Usage & output per 10 BBL, average (pub brewery)
                    10 BBL in product
                    12 BBL Cooling-reclaimed
                    1 BBL Evaporated
                    2.5 BBL With spent grain
                    8.5 BBL To sewer
                    33 bbl TOTAL

Effluent (Average for Pub Breweries):
                    BOD mg/L 600-1200
                    COD mg/L 800-1600
                    TSS mg/L 250-500
                    pH 5.5-6.5
                    Mike Lanzarotta
                    Commercial Real Estate Broker
                    finding space for breweries in Southern California
                    former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Originally posted by Fullcourt View Post
                      I apologize to whoever put this together. I copied it, but don't have the original author. Looks like 33 BBLs of water for 10 BBLs of beer. Notice 2.5 BBLs into spent grain.

Brewery Space Requirements:
                      Average production brewery with bottling=1.25-1.75 SF/BBL/Year
                      Minimum production brewery start-up size requirements: 5,000 square feet industrial space with 20' ceilings, loading dock, good truck access, 3 phase power, city gas main
                      Average pub brewery plant with in-house sales only=.06-1.0 SF/BBL/Year (not including restaurant)
                      Minimum brewpub size requirements: 3,000 square feet in retail area with ample parking and/or high foot traffic
                      Energy Use:
                      Brewpubs:
                      Electrical: 10-15 KWH/BBL
                      Chiller: 8-20 BTU /BBL
                      Natural gas: 1.3 therms/BBL
                      Ingredients (averages for all malt beers):
                      Water usage: 3.0-7.0 BBL per BBL of beer sold
                      Malt: 45-60 #/BBL
                      Hops: 0.5-0.8 #/BBL
                      Water Usage Breakdown for Pub Breweries:
                      Usage & output per 10 BBL, average (pub brewery)
                      10 BBL in product
                      12 BBL Cooling-reclaimed
                      1 BBL Evaporated
                      2.5 BBL With spent grain
                      8.5 BBL To sewer
                      33 bbl TOTAL

Effluent (Average for Pub Breweries):
                      BOD mg/L 600-1200
                      COD mg/L 800-1600
                      TSS mg/L 250-500
                      pH 5.5-6.5

Resurrecting this string. Having to work on a survey for the water authority on our project.

Would everyone assume the 8.5bbl to sewer accounts for brewery and equipment cleaning & sanitation?

Does the above seem in line with other's experience?

Randy

Comment

Over the past year, our microbrewery has used a total of 8 litres of water for every litre of finished beer produced. With better water recovery I'm hoping to reduce that to 6 litres this coming year but will be satisfied with 7.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanPoison View Post
                          Over the past year, our microbrewery has used a total of 8 litres of water for every litre of finished beer produced. With better water recovery I'm hoping to reduce that to 6 litres this coming year but will be satisfied with 7.
                          Thanks!

Are your numbers in a package brewery or brewpub environment?

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by chiliman View Post
                            Thanks!

Are your numbers in a package brewery or brewpub environment?

Randy
                            It's a small (5bbl brewhouse, 10bbl FVs) production brewery with no sales on site.

Comment

Working...
                            X