Input on water report please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input on water report please

Hey folks.. looking for input on our latest water report. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

It looks somewhat similar to mine - lacking in almost everything.

I like to add calcium chloride and calcium sulfate to most beers to get the calcium level up. Dark beers typically need some calcium carbonate or pickling lime to adjust the pH of the mash. There are some great spreadsheets out there that can help you adjust the mineral levels in your beer, and personally I prefer Bru'n Water. There is a free download out there that is pretty in depth to help you adjust your water.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

Originally posted by troybinso View Post
      It looks somewhat similar to mine - lacking in almost everything.

I like to add calcium chloride and calcium sulfate to most beers to get the calcium level up. Dark beers typically need some calcium carbonate or pickling lime to adjust the pH of the mash. There are some great spreadsheets out there that can help you adjust the mineral levels in your beer, and personally I prefer Bru'n Water. There is a free download out there that is pretty in depth to help you adjust your water.
      Thanks for the input.. I've been playing around with the EZ Water Calculator.. my problem is I don't understand which minerals to add when several of them do the same thing..

For instance with one of my amber recipes I added 5 lbs of Aciduated malt to bring the PH down.

Along with what you said I added 150 grams of Calcium Chloride to bring the Calcium up

But, if I add 120 grams of Calcium Sulfate to bring the Sulfate in line.. the Magnesium is still low.. so instead of adding Calcium Sulfate I just add 120 grams of Epson Salt and it brings up both the Sulfate and Magnesium..

Am I thinking correctly on this or should I just add a little of both to bring everything in line?

Lastly... where it shows in the picture below, there is a check mark where I add Cacl Chloride & Epsom Salt for adjusting the sparge water.. is that typical or should I uncheck that and add everything to the mash??

Click image for larger version

Name:	wateradjust.png
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	190202

Comment

Before I try to answer your questions I want to put it out there that I am no expert.

There are basically three reasons for adding minerals to the your brewday. Adjusting mash pH, adding essential nutrients for your yeast, and flavor additions. If you add all of your minerals to the mash then you can accomplish your goals for the last two reasons, but you might mess up your mash pH. If you were to uncheck the sparge additions then you will be reducing your calcium, magnesium, chloride and sulfate additions, which will affect your yeast health and your flavor profile. I would suggest following the calculator and seeing how it goes.

Finally, be careful with things like acid malt. If you add to much it can give a sour flavor to the beer, but with just five pounds you are probably under 1% of the grain bill, which should be fine.
        Troy Robinson
        Quirk Brewing
        Walla Walla

Comment

Originally posted by jakecpunut View Post
          ...my problem is I don't understand which minerals to add when several of them do the same thing...
          This IS an issue. Why add stuff to your beer when you don't know how it affects the flavor/process?

If you don't have an issue with the flavor of your water/beer, why change it?

Bru'n Water is a great resource to start - it gives a lot of no-nonsense info on mash pH and water chemistry. Either way, salt/acid additions should be made to correct a problem: incorrect mash pH, beerstone formation, clarification issues, poor water flavor, etc.
          Kyle Kohlmorgen
          Process/Automation Consultant
          St. Louis, MO

Comment

Originally posted by SouthHouseBrew View Post
            This IS an issue. Why add stuff to your beer when you don't know how it affects the flavor/process?

If you don't have an issue with the flavor of your water/beer, why change it?

Bru'n Water is a great resource to start - it gives a lot of no-nonsense info on mash pH and water chemistry. Either way, salt/acid additions should be made to correct a problem: incorrect mash pH, beerstone formation, clarification issues, poor water flavor, etc.
            Well what I didn't mention in the OP that I probably should have is that we've been on our pilot system in one location and getting ready to move to our big system at another location and haven't brewed with that water at all... I guess I'm just trying to cover all my basis and worried a bit.. probably more than I should be :-)

thanks for the input and advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by jakecpunut View Post
              Well what I didn't mention in the OP that I probably should have is that we've been on our pilot system in one location and getting ready to move to our big system at another location and haven't brewed with that water at all... I guess I'm just trying to cover all my basis and worried a bit.. probably more than I should be :-)

thanks for the input and advice!!
              Gotcha! Definitely a valid concern!

How big is your pilot system? If you can, load up your kettle/HLT (or some plastic buckets) and pull off a batch's worth of water in the new location. Brew with it and see what you think. Testing new variables is one great reason to brew pilot batches.

If you can't hook up a carbon filter, you may have to figure out a way to get rid of chlorine.
              Kyle Kohlmorgen
              Process/Automation Consultant
              St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
              X