Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to replace solenoids

Howdy all,
    We are looking to replace our solenoids as several have finally given up the ghost. What brands/styles have proven to be reliable workhorses for your operation? We are cooling five, ten barrel FV’s (two zones) and five brites (one zone). The piping is 3/4”.
    Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Angle seat valves

Pneumatic Angle seat valves with solenoid pilots are bulletproof, inexpensive, and reliable. Wouldn't use anything else.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
      Pneumatic Angle seat valves with solenoid pilots are bulletproof, inexpensive, and reliable. Wouldn't use anything else.
      Howdy Phillip,
      Do you have a source for these?
      Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Not where you are!

I've only purchased these outside the US. The last few times from Rotex. Sure you can find something of equal quality. Beware of dirt cheap crap, however.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Id go with actuated ball valves instead. George Fisher sells some for their abs pipe but they also have adapters. Grainger/Mcmaster also
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Asco Red Hats are still working fine for us. For our larger fermenters, we use pneumatic poppet valves for the better flow, but the solenoids work fine for our 35-50 bbl ferms.

You do need to be careful to keep small debris out of you system if using any piloted valves. Teflon thread tape has been our biggest source of problems. A piloted solenoid valve will stick in the open state if the tiniest bit of crud gets stuck in it.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              Asco Red Hats are still working fine for us. For our larger fermenters, we use pneumatic poppet valves for the better flow, but the solenoids work fine for our 35-50 bbl ferms.

You do need to be careful to keep small debris out of you system if using any piloted valves. Teflon thread tape has been our biggest source of problems. A piloted solenoid valve will stick in the open state if the tiniest bit of crud gets stuck in it.
              Thanks Tim,
              We’ve been using red hats as well. So long in fact, the label information has completed worn off. What model Red Hat are you using?
              Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I know this may fall into the "dirt cheap crap" catagory and for 10 or even 5bbl tanks id go with something better for piece of mind.
                That said, the risks are minimal for our nano 3bbl batch size compared to what some are using them for but For what its worth Ive been using generic valves like these off ebay for over a year and have yet to have any issues.. When building the system they were more or less a temporary installation as the whole system was only meant to be used until our renovations were done and a larger setup put in. That said I have been impressed with the 100% reliability thus far.
                Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for EDG 12v DC 1/2" Electric Solenoid Valve Magnetic Valve 4 Water Air Normal Close at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

I'm not suggesting they are any better or worse than any other option as they are one of the only type Ive ever used, im just sharing since it was asked and I have actual experience with them to share. These are only being used for the cooling side glycol mix.
                Last edited by augiedoggy; 01-29-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
                  Thanks Tim,
                  We’ve been using red hats as well. So long in fact, the label information has completed worn off. What model Red Hat are you using?
                  Prost!
                  Dave
                  We have a mis-mash of different models and sizes. Bad news is, without the data from the top plate, you can't order rebuild kits--that is all you have to go on. IIRC, there is nothing on the valve body to ID them.

I think I stock three different r'build kits here.
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

We just switched to Belimo ball valves with spring return. Started with solenoids, but maintenance became a nightmare. Our electrical system is protected by GFCI, so temperature related corrosion became a problem. The Belimo ball valves have all sealed connections. If you are running a 24 vac system, the Belimos' will fit perfectly to your tstats. Had our solenoids come with better connections, our experiences might have been different, but having additional issues with teflon residue clinched it for us.

Comment

Dave,

I understand the dislike of Asco Red Hats, but we have really only had problems with them on new installations, always teflon tape or solder getting stuck on the sealing surface and having the valve stick open. The ones I like are the zero-differential ones - the design is more forgiving of little bits of trash. I get them from Grainger, about $350 for a 3/4" one.
                      Linus Hall
                      Yazoo Brewing
                      Nashville, TN
                      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Burkert solenoid valve is a option 5281model, or theirs angle seat pneumatic valve 2000 model

Comment

Working...
                        X