Inkbird Temp Probe to Thermometer Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkbird Temp Probe to Thermometer Port

So I will be using ink birds to control the 2bbl fermenter's glycol supply. The ink bird probe is slightly smaller than the temp gauge. What would be the best method for sealing the ink bird probe into the port? Silicone, solder, and advice would be appreciated.

Untitled by Jeremy Boucher, on Flickr

There are a lot of overcomplicated ways of doing this that make sense once you are bigger and more well established in your procedures: solder into place, use a temperature sensitive gel to fill the air gap between sensor and well, etc. But, at your size, don't over think it. You are going to want to be able to remove that thermowell and clean the piece and the port between fills, which also might involve removing the temp probe, so go the simple route: install the thermowell with a triclamp, insert the temp probe as deep as possible, and give the cord a wrap or three with black electrical tape against the port to make sure it doesn't fall out. In a few months, once you figure out your system and know your long range plans, you can more permanently install something. But in a few months, hopefully you are thinking "Wow, I need to buy some 4bbl and 7bbl fermenters to keep up with demand. Good thing I didn't solder those sensors in."

Good luck.

Comment

screw this into the thermowell, shove the probe in until it bottoms out, tighten with a wrench

Comment

We do more-or-less what Backslope said. We just wrap the temp cord around the TC clamp handle and it stays in securely. I've compared the temp controller reading with a calibrated temp probe and they are within a few 1/10's of each other in our case.

Comment

TonyT thank you!

Comment

You should be using some thermal conductive paste in the thermowell with the temp probe.

Amazon: Super-Lube-98003-Silicone-White

Comment

Working...
            X