Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to move from a condenser to a stack. Need advice

Hello All,

I am considering moving from my steam condenser to a stack venting outside. The main reason for this is that the amount of water the condenser uses is unacceptable with an average of 215 gallons during a 60 minute boil. Seems like the simplest way to mitigate this usage is to eliminate it completely vs. recapture it for use later given that this water is not ideal for brewing. I am already recapturing my knock out water for brewing and cleaning purposes. This could potentially save 30,000 gallons of water per year. My ceiling is extremely low and resides approx 4.5' above my 7bbk kettle. I have included some pictures and I'm really looking for the best way to go about this. Cheers[
    Attached Files

While I prefer a straight kettle stack vent, why not just recirculate a small tank of water instead of spraying to drain? This should eliminate a significant amount of water usage without the retro-fitting. I have used this recirculation setup on pilot systems with great success in the past.

If you have the ability, get a small jacketed vessel and glycol chill your condensing liquid for greater effect, but it really shouldn't be necessary. Just start with Cold Liquor (if you've got it).

Otherwise, Sawzall and straight up. Add a drip ring for DMS that forms on the inside of the kettle stack and runs back down.

Comment

So we made the same move on a 5BBL system and it was worth the effort, less wasted water and energy and increased evaporation. It’s hard to see from your photos exactly what is above your current kettle vent. Use a plumb-@bob to see if you have an unobstructed path from your ceiling to the center of the existing condenser.
      ( Be sure to check the roof to insure there aren’t any other obstructions that will be in the way once the kettle stack goes through). If you have a straight shot, it should be fairly simple depending on that your roof deck is made of. Removing the vapor condenser looks like it will be a matter of just disconnecting the H2O supply and drain, removing the triclamp between condenser and kettle and then any bolts that may be holding condenser to straight side of kettle. From there, we had a fabricator make an approx. 8” tall straight spool with a tri clamp ferrule on each end. Around the inside circumference of the spool we added a 1/2” wide x 1/2” tall condensate collection drip ring with a 1/2” threaded FNPT coupling to allow condensate to drain to outside of the spool. We had a straight shot through our ceiling to the roof so we had 2@ 8’ long stainless spools made with tri clamp ferrules on each end. We drilled from the ceiling up through the roof to mark the center of the hole and then used a hole saw to cut the actual opening from the roof. Once the hole was cut, we clamped the 8” tall condensate collection spool to the existing ferrule on kettle, then fed the first 8’ spool up through from the brewery and clamped it to the the condensate spool. Second 8’ long spool was clamped on to the first from on the roof and then we finished it with a 90* elbow covered by a tri clamp gasket with a strainer screen to keep out any birds etc. Our stack ended up about 9’ above the roof line and is working fine. You should check local codes though to see if there are any restrictions or guidelines about required distances from other mechanical equipment, adjacent roof lines etc. You want to be sure there is no way for the stack to pull in combustion exhaust from another price of equipment. Finally we can plumbed the 1/2” condensate drain ferrule to the floor. DM if you want photos or have questions.
      cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the great advice and information! Do you have any idea what kind of contractor would be able to fabricate something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgaura79 View Post
          Hello All,

I am considering moving from my steam condenser to a stack venting outside. The main reason for this is that the amount of water the condenser uses is unacceptable with an average of 215 gallons during a 60 minute boil. Seems like the simplest way to mitigate this usage is to eliminate it completely vs. recapture it for use later given that this water is not ideal for brewing. I am already recapturing my knock out water for brewing and cleaning purposes. This could potentially save 30,000 gallons of water per year. My ceiling is extremely low and resides approx 4.5' above my 7bbk kettle. I have included some pictures and I'm really looking for the best way to go about this. Cheers[
          Of course, we can change steam condensor to chimney, which helps saving city water consumption. But it would better there have a backflow pipe designed in advance inside of tank, which empty condensated water out of tank directly, rather than back to kettle, which is good for beer brewing. You know the chimney straight to roof ,the steam may condensate and backflow. So if your current tank don't have backflow pipe, we will find a way to deal with the condensated water. If anyone need the design like this, we can provide turnkey solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick View Post

Of course, we can change steam condensor to chimney, which helps saving city water consumption. But it would better there have a backflow pipe designed in advance inside of tank, which empty condensated water out of tank directly, rather than back to kettle, which is good for beer brewing. You know the chimney straight to roof ,the steam may condensate and backflow. So if your current tank don't have backflow pipe, we will find a way to deal with the condensated water. If anyone need the design like this, we can provide turnkey solution.
            Hi Derrick
            Can a backflow pipe/condensate trap be retrofitted? Something that could be put on top of the kettle steam outlet.
            Thanks

Comment

Yes, we can make further design on kettle steam outlet. Like a groove. The groove will prevent condensated water into kettle tun, but drain outside directly.

Comment

We recently changed our condenser to stack. Our condenser was almost similar to what you have. I hope your condenser already have a DMS collection well in inside the part of the condenser tube.

We made our stack with the same condenser setup with some modifications.

Please DM if you need pictures.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dheeraj View Post
                  We recently changed our condenser to stack. Our condenser was almost similar to what you have. I hope your condenser already have a DMS collection well in inside the part of the condenser tube.

We made our stack with the same condenser setup with some modifications.

Please DM if you need pictures.

Cheers!

Yes, if there already had a collection tube at kettle outlet, it is more easier to change condenser to stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgaura79 View Post
                    Hello All,

Hello,

We would suggest you weld two rings on your kettle tank to apply the revisement. See the photo, the green parts are the parts that need to be welded.
                    Please remove the port(connect with small hose) a bit lower if it is not easy to weld the slip plate between in the first ring.
                    In that way, there will have less condensate water left in the ring.
                    Search"Brewman Machinery Eequipment Co." and contact with us if you have any questions:-)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brewman Machinery Equipment Co.png
Views:	515
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	311399
                    Cheers,
                    Brewman Machinery Equipment Co.

Comment

Working...
                    X