looking for some input on my automated kegwasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for some input on my automated kegwasher

I have been building a keg washer for my hope to be soon brewery and looking for some input on what kind of information/ functions would be useful.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_132143.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	195404
    Getting close has Caustic tank "adding heat control soon", Sanitizer tank, Air purge, And CO2 purge.
    I have wash recipes for 1/6, 1/4, 1/2 barrel kegs and one for 50l kegs. plus RINSE ONLY and EMPTY FULL KEG don't know if they would be useful?

Name:	20171202_185018.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	195405
    On the wash screen, you select the keg size "previous picture" START, STOP, and a pre-drain" for kegs that aren't quite empty will alow them to drain prior to washing"
    The message display shows the current status of the keg washer "ready to run, caustic wash, air purge ......"

Name:	20171202_185027.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	195406
    Wash time button from previous pic has all the times for all the recipes and changes based on what keg you have selected.

Name:	20171202_185036.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	195407
    FIRST RINSE. Uses fresh water to wash and drains to floor.
    AIR PURGE 1. Uses air to purge water to floor.
    CAUSTIC. Washes with caustic and returns to caustic tank.
    AIR PURGE 2 . Uses air to purge caustic to caustic tank.
    RINSE 2 . Uses fresh water to rinse and drains to floor.
    AIR PURGE 3. Uses air to pure water to floor.
    SANITIZE. Uses sanitizer and returns to sanitizer tank.
    CO2 PURGE. uses CO2 to purge back to sanitizer tank.

PRE DRAIN.The amount of time to drain to the floor prior to washing.
    WASH COUNT. Number of wash cycles to complete be for notifying you to change fluid.
    PUMP DELAY. The amount of time to delay the pump before pumping so no air enters pump. " I don't think this needs to be charged once set so will probably remove.
    *I will be adding a CO2 fill cycle that will use a regulator to set the pressure.

let me know what you think, what are things that make sense to have and not to have?
    Don't know if I should make less changeable time's to make it simpler? My wife thinks i should try selling these things "winch may be half the reason i wanted so many changeable times" that and i already bought a touch screen for it.

Howdy,
    Can you post more photos of the hardware? Have you thought to have chemical specific pumps so they don't "share" the same one? What about insulation to maintain chemical temp in reservoirs? I wish I would've done that on my home build.
    Is there a button for full cycle or does an operator need to manually push the different buttons in order? Is the water rinse municipal water or will it be hot liquor? If you could keep the keg metal hot/warm during the cycle then any heating element you install won't need to be reheating the returned chemical as much as if the keg shell was cooled during a water rinse.
    How about hand, dump/drain valves at the low points of each chemical reservoir?
    Definitely add a CO2 pressurization option at the end of the cycle BUT somehow make it so the operator cannot increase beyond safe pressures. BOOM!
    Lastly, I suggest to use a different decking material. From your pic it looks like an MDF board or some other laminated composite wood product. I think that will be destroyed quickly by the wet environs of keg washing. You could get away with a simpler metal framework as all you need is a couple of contact points to hold the inverted keg.

Great build! I agree with your wife.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Dave thanks for the response!
      Supply piping

Name:	20171205_093012.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	191576
      "I have ss pipe on order to replace the pvc."
      Return piping " the center valve is the floor drain the pipe fell off

Name:	20171205_093033.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	191578

Have you thought to have chemical-specific pumps so they don't "share" the same one?
      Main reason I didn't use 2 pumps is Cost another reason is with my rinse water supply valve prior to the pump my thought was it would clean out the caustic from the pump and piping. "dont know it how well it will work?

What about insulation to maintain chemical temp in reservoirs?
      Hoping my caustic tank heating element will maintain correct temp. the insulation might be nice if the washer is left on for a while. "not yet installed" I could add an interlock if temp drops below a certan temp to not allow kegs to be washed untill temp raises to correct temp.

Is the water rinse municipal water or will it be hot liquor? If you could keep the keg metal hot/warm during the cycle then any heating element you install won't need to be reheating the returned chemical as much as if the keg shell was cooled during a water rinse.
      Great idea! I have only hooked cold water to mine but could just as easaly add hot water.

How about hand, dump/drain valves at the low points of each chemical reservoir?
      Yep! In planning!

Lastly, I suggest to use a different decking material. From your pic it looks like an MDF board or some other laminated composite wood product. I think that will be destroyed quickly by the wet environs of keg washing.
      Sure is mdf Just using for the time being.

You could get away with a simpler metal framework as all you need is a couple of contact points to hold the inverted keg.
      Very true!

Name:	20171202_185112.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	191577

Comment

Again, nice build.
        One thing I forgot to suggest are backflow preventers. I installed them on my washer on each chemical line to prevent the CO2 pressure backing into my pumps and destroying their prime. Your solenoids should do the trick but you could place backflow preventers after the solenoids to reduce wear and tear on them caused by back pressure.

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

How hot will your caustic be? the grey pvc hose barbs do not handle heat at all. The schedule 40 pvc is not really going to handle much heat either. I would def not send much air/gas pressure at all thru a hot schedule 40 pvc pipe, higher the heat lower the pressure rating.
          Last edited by BrewinLou; 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Yep got all SS on order won't be here until the end of December

Ordered the PID temp controller on backorder until first of the year.

Comment

Added a test screen to help find problems if one ever comes up.
              The screen is password protected to enter and will not let you leave the screen until everything is turned off.

Name:	20171202_185102.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	191579

Comment

Just an update

Got a lot of the SS piping in waiting on a couple pieces tho. Also Got the temp controller currently integrating it to the plc.

Name:	20171227_213239.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	191599

Also got the heating element, temp probe and low water switch.
                And bottom drain valve!

Name:	20171227_215518.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	191600

Comment

That is a great design! I envy your programming skills.

I'm very glad to see you replacing the PVC with SS plumbing. I wouldn't even have tested it with PVC.

You will need waterproof junction boxes for all your wiring--but I'm sure you're on that, too.
                  Last edited by TGTimm; 01-08-2018, 03:16 PM.
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Plc / hmi

Looks really close to the design I started including using the Click PLC and CMore Mucro HMI. Did you use the drum instruction to run the sequence? What pump did you end up purchasing?

Comment

The pump is from harbor freight https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-p...gph-63320.html

I didn’t use the sequence function as I could not achieve what I was wanting with timing with it.

Comment

I finally am getting some time to put my keg washer together as I was lucky to have some good friends at a local brewery that were letting me use their Premier Keg Washer. Now that you have had time to use yours, what changes did you make or what would you do differently? Also, would you mind sending me your Click & C-More project files?

Comment

Working...
                        X