No announcement yet.

DIY keg washer pump sizing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see a problem in using same pump in brewhouse and keg washing?

It is open impeller mobile pump with VFD (1.5 kW, 5 m3/h, 24m) that is used for mashing in, sparging and transfer BK-HX-FV.
    I'd like to take advantage of mobility and give it another purpose with saving some funds, but I'm not sure if that could be problem due to hard chemical treatment in keg washing or something else... on the other hand we use same chemicals at MLT or BK CIP so I feel lost at the moment.. or I am over-complicating it?

Comment

Originally posted by dark_s View Post

It is open impeller mobile pump with VFD (1.5 kW, 5 m3/h, 24m) that is used for mashing in, sparging and transfer BK-HX-FV.
      I'd like to take advantage of mobility and give it another purpose with saving some funds, but I'm not sure if that could be problem due to hard chemical treatment in keg washing or something else... on the other hand we use same chemicals at MLT or BK CIP so I feel lost at the moment.. or I am over-complicating it?
      I'm no expert but I believe as long as the seals are rated for the chemicals, you should be ok. Ask the manufacturer if they're still around, but makes sense to me that it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by dark_s View Post

If your speaking of the one in the pictures of this thread, I am hoping to use mine for whirlpool and CIP/kegwashing.

I found that I needed to upgrade the inlet hose to 1.5" ID brewery grade hose otherwise I got cavitation pretty bad with the 1" ID continental hose.
        I tore mine down to the basic components and made sure I could get replacements parts for everything which I found cheap on ebay (A UL listed frame motor would cost me a couple hundred bucks if I ever had to replace it and thats by far the most costly component)
        everything in the pump housing is stainless or EDPM rubber except the ceramic or carbon pump seal (either are available for like $4)

Comment

I was looking at the Velocio for a keg washer but i dont have the time to sit down and program it myself. Would you be willing to sell a copy of your script with a bit of documentation on your cabinet, PLC and the HMI?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by HogMountain View Post
            Mine arrived yesterday. At least it is packed well. I won't know how it performs for a while. The pump head probably needs to be passivated after cleaning it.

Any feed back on these pumps?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Noble31 View Post
              Any feed back on these pumps?

Chris
              No from me. Mine is still in the box. Maybe augiedoggy can give some feedback.

Comment

Thought I'd post an update. The Keg washer works great but I wanted to share a 3D model of the cart I plan to weld for it.

This link will take you to the tinkercad project I designed it in. You'll need to create a free account to copy and edit it.

Comment

been using mine... more than powerful enough to clean 3 kegs at a time. in fact I still have to throttle it down.

Comment

Working...
                  X