Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitizing with peracetic acid 5% and sodium percarbonate

Hi All,
    I'm a small scale commercial kombucha brewery. I need advice regarding cleaning and sanitizing my lines, kegs, filter cartridges and housing, crown caps and bottles.

I've bought peracetic acid 5% and sodium percarbonate granules. Being based in India these are the most cost effective readily available options on the market.

can anyone give me some guidance regarding dilution and usage of said chemicals for cleaning and sanitizing?

Thanks kindly

Dear Jo,
    depending on the laws check out if the PAA can be used as a non-rinse sanitizer. If yes great, otherwise ensure you have sterile water for rinsing.
    Concentrations:
    Rinsing crowns and bottles: 50 - 75 ppm
    Kegs 150 ppm
    All other equipment: 200 - 250 ppm
    Please never pack and let any equipment sit with sanitizer, it is an oxidizer and will damage gaskets and other non-stainless steel material over a longer period of time.
    Temperature: ambient
    Time: 10 - 15 min to ensure every surface got enough contact time.

Sodium percarbonate: 50 - 100 mg per liter water.
    If everything works with PAA the need of sodium percrabonate is not necessary

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you
    Zee Loeffler
    888-484-6248 (US & Canada only)
    www.loefflerchemical.com
    Oliver.meinhold@vincitgroup.com

Comment

Thanks Oliver.
      How do calculate ppm from a 5% PA solution?
      So for 10L of water just 1g of sodium percarbonate? Seems like very little.
      Cheers
      Jo

Comment

I would suggest not wasting your money on sodium percarbonate unless you have a very specific application purpose for it. The PAA solutions you are going to find will likely contain 20-26% hydrogen peroxide in them already, so you are not likely to get any benefit from adding any sodium percarbonate in a sanitation step. It is added as a source of free oxygen to kill and denature, but the hydrogen peroxide is doing that already (and probably much better).

Reach out to Diversey Johnson for some Divosan Activ VT5 to compare prices. That's what I ran with when I was in Bangalore, and it was the most reasonably priced supplier that was reliable. Obviously the reliable part is a major factor in India. EcoLab also serviced Bangalore and I am sure they cover Mumbai, Chennai, etc. We would use the AC-101 for a sodium hydroxide caustic option (deposit removal).

The only time I have seen much advantage from sodium percarbonates myself, is when they are mixed with metasilicates and used on aluminum applications for alkaline cleaning. The reaction "scrubs" the dirt pretty well.

If you are asking how to calculate the PPM from a given solution, then it is obviously not super easy head math for you. I would suggest you stick to a reliable calculator (envirotech.com/calculators) until you begin to catch on to the math. Over time you will become more confident in your dilution calculations and may be able to skip the calculator. Be thankful that despite the unique patchwork of Indian, British, and other foreign influence that y'all still use liters/hL for volumes.

Comment

Thanks all for your help.
          Can someone instruct me on how to calculate 0.5% v/v of a 5% Peracetic acid solution? The calculators I found on line didn't make sense to me.
          Cheers

Comment

I am worried you are not understanding this between all the information given. I will try another approach.

5% divided by 10 equals 0.5%
            5% divided by 100 equals 0.05%

5% = 50,000 Parts Per Million (PPM)
            0.5% = 5,000 PPM
            0.05% = 500 PPM

Diluting a 5% solution 10 times equals a 0.5% solution, or 5,000PPM

Diluting a 5% solution 100 times equals a 0.05% solution, or 500PPM

To dilute by a factor of 10, take your concentrate (1ml of 5% PAA) and add your solute (9ml water) at a 1:9 ratio (making ten total parts). This gives you 10ml of 0.5% PAA solution.

Warning - That is way higher concentration than you need for your purpose. You should probably be around 180-300 ppm, or .018-.03% PAA for most things you would use PAA for. YOU NEED TO CHECK TWICE on why you are wanting to make a 5000 PPM solution.

Comment

Thanks Unfermentable,
              This is very helpful and clear.
              The manufacturer of my filtration system and cartridges recommends 0.5% v/v PA for sanitising cartridges after use. They have not specified starting concentration of PA, just final concentration. I'm currently using 500ppm for sanitising bottles and equipment based on a recommendation from a fellow commercial kombucha brewer. We are aiming for sterile filtration so it is essential that any wild yeast is kept at bay.

I'm getting suggestions ranging from 50ppm to 500ppm for bottle sanitisation. This is a large range. Would you suggest going for a middle ground of 250ppm?
              Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X