Starsan vs DEH/Food Manager training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starsan vs DEH/Food Manager training.

I just passed my Safserv Food Manager test. Part of the training was that the only recognized sanitizers are (i) Iodine, (ii) Bleach, (iii) and quats.

Starsan is none of those, but my understanding is that Starsan is FDA approved for beer-equipment sanitation. Ok, beer-making isn't exactly "food prep", but it seems awfully similar. But I'm now understanding that I can't just fill the "sanitize" sink on my 3-compartment -- or a dip-bucket for bar utensils -- with Starsan, which seems a shame.

...Or am I being too literal, or otherwise misunderstanding something?

..."Or whut?!"

Thanks!
    ~Ted

We don't have Starsan in the UK, though I believe some manufacturers of peracetic acid sanitisers add it to improve the effectiveness. However, starsan is classed as a no rinse sanitiser (as is PAA), whereas Iodophors, Quats, and Chlorine based sanitisers must all be rinsed after the sanitisation period. Iodophors and chlorine compounds are liable to attack stainless, and may result in pitting corrosion and stress corrosion cracking over a period of usage, and will certainly attack many gaskets / valve seals. Additionally, any contamination of the beer will produce chlorophenolic type taints, so have to be rinsed off for that reason if none other. Quats foam horribly, particularly in CIP systems, and adversely affect the head retention of beer. So lots of good reasons not to use any of these in the brewery as a terminal sanitiser.

My suspicion is that Starsan is not as effective against foodstuffs such as meat and dairy products, or rather, the contaminating microorganisms, which can cause serious illnesses in humans (and other animals). Yeast and beer contaminating bacteria are very easy to kill off compared to say campylobacter, clostridium, salmonella etc, and Starsan will happily kill off beer contaminating organisms (including yeasts) but may not kill off some foodstuff contaminants. Also, a few residual extant beer spoilage organisms will often not cause spoilage of beer, as beer is not conduicive to bacterial or yeast growth (low pH, very low levels residual sugars and amino acids, low oxygen, so poor growth conditions), unlike say meat products and dairy.

As far as the brewing and cider (and presumably winemaking) industry is concerned starsan is eminently suitable for beer/cider production facilities.

Having said all that, have a chat with your local Starsan rep.
    dick

Comment

Thanks Dick,

Yeah, using any of those others on my precious beer making equipment seems a bad idea, that's why I was wondering about going all StarSan. But your explanation about differing types of contaminants makes sense.

I will, as you suggest, ask 5-Star (StarSan maker), but I suspect they'll give a similar response.

Thanks!

Comment

"Only recognized sanitizers"? By whom? My go-to for sanitation is Chlorine Dioxide. I'll put the kill rate, spectrum, time and temperature data of chlorine dioxide up against anything. Iodine by itself is nowhere near as effective as it is when compounded with phosphoric acid. That's the way it's normally used. And then I won't use it except in parts bucket. Quats are good for foaming down tank exteriors, walls, and floors, but never for food contact surfaces. Would never use bleach in a brewery except to launder towels. And did they forget about heat? Pasteurization didn't make the cut as a sanitizing option?
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by olie View Post
          I just passed my Safserv Food Manager test. Part of the training was that the only recognized sanitizers are (i) Iodine, (ii) Bleach, (iii) and quats.

Starsan is none of those, but my understanding is that Starsan is FDA approved for beer-equipment sanitation. Ok, beer-making isn't exactly "food prep", but it seems awfully similar. But I'm now understanding that I can't just fill the "sanitize" sink on my 3-compartment -- or a dip-bucket for bar utensils -- with Starsan, which seems a shame.

...Or am I being too literal, or otherwise misunderstanding something?

..."Or whut?!"

Thanks!
          ~Ted
          Starsan is normally used for stainless steel material sanitization, it is popular in most microbreweries. Some other disinfectant for example caustic or hydrogen peroxide also is used.

Comment

Taking food service manager training will be geared to food service and not brewing industry specific. Why do I care if the recommended internal temp for pork is 145 if I'm brewing beer? Now manning the smoker on a Monday night? That's totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt C View Post
              Taking food service manager training will be geared to food service and not brewing industry specific. Why do I care if the recommended internal temp for pork is 145 if I'm brewing beer? Now manning the smoker on a Monday night? That's totally different.
              That's what I thought! Until I learned that our DEH things that beer that comes out of taps is "food" (as differentiated from "individually wrapped" bottles & cans).

Plus, we intend to serve some warm appetizers, though our space isn't really big enough to do the full-on BBQ thing, we may have special events in the parking lot.

I like to tell people "I am now qualified to teach baristas that raw oysters can be accepted from the delivery truck at 3

Comment

Working...
              X