Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIP & Passivation - Advice on Chemicals Needed - Acid Based CIP

Hi,

At the moment we are using a sanitizer (Acidisan) from a local manufacturer and it is working great.
    The active ingredient in this is Phosphoric Acid

With our current upgrade we have to revisit our CIP setup.

Most people run caustic / alkali CIP and then an acid based sanitizer.

The alkali based CIP chemical from our supplier uses Sodium Hydroxide as an active ingredient
    They also have an acid based CIP chemical, using Nitric Acid as an active ingredient.

Any comments on using an acid based CIP chemical?

I can send the data sheets to someone able to assist. The files are too large to upload on this forum.

We've been doing Sodium Hydroxide (water rinse), Nitric acid (water rinse), and Peracetic acid (no rinse sanitize). Tanks look great!

Comment

If you had to choose between sodium hydroxide or nitric acid which one would it be for CIP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After doing my routine even just a few times, I wouldn't leave anything out. The sodium hydroxide does an amazing job cleaning out solids and film, the Nitric neutralizes any unrinsed cleaner and cleans away beer stone. At the very least, maybe run 1 Nitric cycle for every 4 Sodium Hydroxide cycles.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the advice.
          What size brewhouse are you running and what volumes of CIP liquids for the vessels?

Comment

We have a 17.5HL brewhouse with a mix of 36HL and 13HL tanks. We need about 100L of liquid for a cycle. Your chemical supplier can tell you how much chemical to add to that amount. Every brand is a little different. We use 2% chemical to water.

Comment

We will be running a small 7HL system.
              Most of the chemicals we plan to use will be at 2% as well.
              Still have to figure out what volumes will work best for our vessels & pumps

Comment

I second StackBrewer's advice and we generally run the same CIP schedule here.

FYI generally, caustic-based cleaners are used for organic material and acid-based for inorganic.

Cheers

Comment

I we use the same method as stackbrewer for the most part. Our acid is a nitric/phosphoric blend because it is much cheaper. I've also found it works the same. When cleaning your kettle you are going to want to run an acid cycle first and then a caustic one. You may want to shop around to various cleaning chem suppliers. 2% is kind of a high dosing rate. We are in the 0.75-1% range and that is at $6 per gallon chem cost. They are all willing to send samples and you can really tell how good it is for the money.

Comment

Hey StackBrewer, it's Michael from Haliburton Highlands. We are evaluating our chemical supplier options as we manage our expansion. Who did you choose as your Ontario supplier of chems?

Comment

Wood Wyant has been amazing. We're very pleased with the chems and we even get our other cleaning supplies, paper towel, garbage bags etc from them.

Off topic: Are you the guy that bought the lenticular filter in Waterloo a couple weeks ago?

Comment

Yes we are. We are also the guys who purchased the Stout Fermenters and Brites from you a while back.

Thanks for the info on the chem provider. Did you have the opportunity to evaluate Ecolab products? Any feedback?

Comment

I remember you from the tank sale. I was shocked when we asked the seller about the filter and they said "a guy from Haliburton might buy it". I'm thrilled you're expanding so quickly (though a little sad you beat me to that filter)!

We tried to work with ecolab, but had trouble getting anyone on the phone.

Comment

Working...
                          X