Passivating a 2 bbl system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passivating a 2 bbl system

I've been reading a lot about passivation, and speaking with other brewers in my area, and there's definitely a lot of info out there on the subject.

Looking to passivate our 2 bbl tanks, preferably through CIP, and what the best option is.

A supplier in our area recommended nitric acid, but admits that it's only available in very large quantities, far more than we would need. I'm trying to see if another brewer in our area will sell us some, but no luck so far.

I know Starsan is technically an option, but it sounds like running it through CIP could be a problem due to all the foaming.

Does anyone with a similar-size system have any recommendations?

Find a supplier, ask for a sample. They will usually send you a gallon or five at no cost.

Comment

But some

Country and BSG both sell boxes of 4 gallons. Get a case of Acid 5. You're going to need to repassivate quarterly anyway.

Comment

I would agree with the above comments. You will need to re-passivate in the future anyways, so having some nitric/phosphoric blend on hand is a good idea. I like Birko Corp chems, and have a passivation procedure from them I can email you if you PM me.

An alternative that is tried and true would be citric acid passivation. It is likely cheaper, but not necessarily better. Some would argue it is not as long lasting as a nitric passivation.

Comment

Nasa study on Citric Acid use for passivating 304 stainless steel

Hello,

Below i have linked a study done by Nasa on the efficiency of passivating 304 stainless steel with citric acid. Basically there findings are that it works as well, if not better, then Nitric acid.

They also do a study to find the best time, temp, and concentration of citric acid and find that 4% by weight at 140F for 30-120 mins.

Passivation is a process for cleaning and providing corrosion protection for stainless steel. Currently, on Kennedy Space Center (KSC), only parts passivated with nitric acid are acceptable for use. KSC disposes of approximately 125gal of concentrated nitric acid per year, and receives many parts from vendors who must also dispose of used nitric acid. Unfortunately, nitric acid presents health and environmental hazards. As a result, several recent industry studies have examined citric acid as an alternative. Implementing a citric acid-based passivation procedure would improve the health and environmental safety aspects of passivation process. However although there is a lack of published studies that conclusively prove citric acid is a technically sound passivation agent. In 2007, NASA's KSC Materials Advisory Working Group requested the evaluation of citric acid in place of nitric acid for passivation of parts at KSC. United Space Alliance Materials & Processes engineers have developed a three-phase test plan to evaluate citric acid as an alternative to nitric acid on three stainless steels commonly used at KSC: UNS S30400, S41000, and S17400. Phases 1 and 2 will produce an optimized citric acid treatment based on results from atmospheric exposure at NASA's Beach Corrosion Facility. Phase 3 will compare the optimized solution(s) with nitric acid treatments. If the results indicate that citric acid passivates as well or better than nitric acid, NASA intends to approve this method for parts used at the Kennedy Space Center.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
            I would agree with the above comments. You will need to re-passivate in the future anyways, so having some nitric/phosphoric blend on hand is a good idea. I like Birko Corp chems, and have a passivation procedure from them I can email you if you PM me.

An alternative that is tried and true would be citric acid passivation. It is likely cheaper, but not necessarily better. Some would argue it is not as long lasting as a nitric passivation.

I've just switched over to Birko and would love to read their SOP for passivation, if you still have it handy could you email me Cody@ledgebrewing.com ?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X