Idophor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idophor

Getting ready to open a brewpub and would like to know pros/cons of using Idophor as my main sanitizer in the brewery. I've used it for years home brewing and with my current 24 gal home system. I know quite a few use the acid based sanitizers but hate to change what has been working for years for me.

Use it for sanitizing valves, sample ports, etc. before opening or connecting a hose. Stick with Peracetic Acid for your main sanitation. There is way more risk of a really bad flavor contribution if you don't get all of the iodophor out of lines, tanks, etc. PAA breaks down into things that are already in the beer. PAA kill time is much better too.

Comment

Stained hoses, gaskets, hands and clothing. Potentially damaged stainless steel.

We switched to PAA years ago and have never looked back.
      Last edited by TGTimm; 05-29-2018, 11:29 AM.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Phosphoric/surfactant-based sanitizers are not effective in killing mold and spores. Iodophor is. For that reason, iodophor is a substantially better sanitizer in brewery usage.

However, there are better sanitizers than iodophor in a commercial brewery setting where trained brewers can effectively and safely learn to use those products.
        WaterEng
        Engineering Consultant

Comment

Originally posted by WaterEng View Post
          Phosphoric/surfactant-based sanitizers are not effective in killing mold and spores. Iodophor is. For that reason, iodophor is a substantially better sanitizer in brewery usage.

However, there are better sanitizers than iodophor in a commercial brewery setting where trained brewers can effectively and safely learn to use those products.
          PAA is not phosphoric, its is Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic acid. It is the standard in breweries, meat packing and processing, and other even more high risk food and beverage manufacturing.

Comment

I understand that iodophors have been banned from use in Europe - not sure the exact reasons. However, my personal preference is not to use iodophors as I have used them in the past, in big breweries and packaging plants, and have experienced residue contamination on a number of occasions. As it is / was virtually the same colour as the beers, it wasn't detected in one instance until it was being served at the bar!!
            dick

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
              PAA is not phosphoric, its is Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic acid. It is the standard in breweries, meat packing and processing, and other even more high risk food and beverage manufacturing.
              StarSan is a phosphoric/surfactant-based sanitizer. It is common to homebrewers and is what I took from the OP's original message. Sorry for your confusion.
              WaterEng
              Engineering Consultant

Comment

I am a plus one for PAA. Iodophor works in a practical application, but not a method I would prefer to use myself. I'll plug my nose over having stains.

A great resource on chemical disinfectants is the CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol.../chemical.html

"FDA has not cleared any liquid chemical sterilant or high-level disinfectants with iodophors as the main active ingredient."

Comment

I should have also mentioned another problem with iodophors - corrosion of stainless steel. Not quite as bad as chlorine, but it is in the same element group and so has the same effect. I have seen a fair few fittings corroded by use of iodophors used as soakbath / tackle / hose bath sanitiser.
                  dick

Comment

We use IOD4 type product for certain applications and PAA for other. Dyno Mite is a reformulated IOD4 type product. We use PAA in our keg cleaner as it is well vented. We use Dyno Mite on our FV tanks b/c the fumes from PAA can be overwhelming. We do not use Dyno Mite to soak parts in or leave it in tanks. Sanitation recirc is done day of use on each tank, we dump the sani in a bucket and use it for the blow off. The tank gets a hot rinse post sani recirc to remove any residual sani. Cheers
                    Joel Halbleib
                    Partner / Zymurgist
                    Hive and Barrel Meadery
                    6302 Old La Grange Rd
                    Crestwood, KY
                    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks for every ones feedback. Looks like I'll be using an acid based sanitiser in the brewery from what's being said here. Will still keep the Idophor for parts sanitation.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
                        Stained hoses, gaskets, hands and clothing. Potentially damaged stainless steel.

We switched to PAA years ago and have never looked back.

Enviado de meu SM-G110B usando o Tapatalk

Comment

I like Io4 for soak sani, but that's about all. Its nice that you see the color fade and know to change it out.
                          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                          "Your results may vary"

Comment

PAA doesn’t need to be rinsed?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirky View Post
                              PAA doesn’t need to be rinsed?
                              Nope. Decomposes into hydrogen peroxide (which reacts with, and kills, the nasties) and acetic acid (vinegar), which shouldn't be tastable at the levels you'll pick up from damp equipment – make sure you don't have any standing puddles! – is completely food-safe, and is produced in small quantities as a fermentation byproduct anyway. Makes life real easy!

Comment

Working...
                              X