Non-slip additive in brewery floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-slip additive in brewery floor

We are having a new floor poured at our brewery next week, using the Poly-Crete urethane product. The installer has recommended adding a non-slip aggregate to the topcoat. This sounds like a good idea to me, however I have heard that several breweries using this type of floor have specifically asked that this not be included. I'm assuming that their reasoning involved ease of cleaning and the possibility of harboring something nasty.

I'm leaning toward keeping the non-slip, as I think that worker safety (mostly mine!) should be of paramount importance. If anyone has experience one way or the other, I would love to hear it.

-Steve
    Steve Sanderson
    RiverWalk Brewing Co.
    Newburyport, MA

An epoxy top coat was put on my brewery floor without any type of anti-slip additive. It became so slippery with just water on it that I ended up putting strips of grip tape all over the common walking paths. I sure wish someone would have told me how slippery this top coat was before they put it on.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

Shark grip

I work for a large paint company and I highly suggest a product called shark grip made by H&C. It will not tear up mop heads bt will give enough grip.

Comment

I would add the aggregate. I have worked for breweries that used the non slip and one that chose not to. Having no slip will greatly decrease the possibility of someone touring your brewery slipping and falling. The people who talk about the floor harboring something all I have to say in response is keep your floor clean.

Comment

Yeah, and don't put your floor in your beer.

Comment

Shark Grip works great. I used to add it to concrete sealer for decorative jobs. When mixed right, you can't see it and gives some nice traction.

Comment

We have a Urecrete coating on our floor with the non slip sand put down with the top layer. It is GREAT in its ability to keep you from slipping but a bit tougher to clean. We found hosing it down, then using a Foaming Cleaner sprayed to the floor and then using broom to scrub works great. Once you've scrubbed the floor with the broom you can just hose down the floor and its nice and clean.

Dave
              David Schlosser
              Brewmaster / Founder
              Naked Dove Brewing Company
              Canandaigua, NY

Comment

After seeing these responses we are definitely going with the non-slip. The texture seems to be plenty to provide more grip, but won't shred a mop or other cleaning device.

In addition to the items already mentioned, it doesn't add any additional cost and our insurance company will be happier with us as well.

Thanks for the help!

-Steve
                Steve Sanderson
                RiverWalk Brewing Co.
                Newburyport, MA

Comment

Ensure that it is consistent. You might even want to consider in the spots were you have hard trouble getting with cleaning to leave it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X