Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60 Gal. Jacketed Steam Kettle (help much appreciated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bndooley
    So, it can be done, but it doesn't sound like I'd want to do it.
    Ben
    It can be done. I suggest you PM brewboyky to get his thoughts. I'm fairly sure he'll tell you you're crazy but he will also give you some plausible insight into what it will take to make you dream happen.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I can go bigger. That's not an issue. I would just like to find some way to take advantage of this incredibly cheap piece of equip. Surely there must be some good use for it.

Comment

Soup

Thanks for the advice.

I can go bigger. That's not an issue. I would just like to find some way to take advantage of this incredibly cheap piece of equip. Surely there must be some good use for it.
        You could use it to make soup in!
        Doug A Moller
        Brewmaster
        The Moller Brew House
        (405)226-3111

Comment

Or boil a bit of the mash in it for a decoction-like adventure!

Rob
          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by RobZamites
            Or boil a bit of the mash in it for a decoction-like adventure!

Rob
            A BETTER IDEA!
            Doug A Moller
            Brewmaster
            The Moller Brew House
            (405)226-3111

Comment

Huh. Decoction. That's an idea. For seventy-five bucks, I might as well give it a go. Give me something to do while I'm getting the brew house together.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

*grin* -- that's what we brewers do; help each other out, and find creative ways to utilize equipment that might end up on the scrap heap On, that note, anyone got some nifty ideas for making a hopback?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RobZamites
                  *grin* -- that's what we brewers do; help each other out, and find creative ways to utilize equipment that might end up on the scrap heap On, that note, anyone got some nifty ideas for making a hopback?

Rob

Yeah, a hella cool one.
                  We used a beer keg as an in-line hopback. It had the top removed, a false bottom, a 1.5" TC outlet below the false bottom, and a 1.5" TC up toward the top on the sidewall with a TC inside as well from this port. We attached a TC Tee horizontally to the inner TC flange and attached 2 big nylon bags with hop pellets in each bag. A drain line from the kettle went to the flange on the outside of this port and the bags rested on the screen false bottom. The hot beer came in the bags and passed through the hops on their way to the heat exchanger.
                  Worked great for a little 7 Bbl house!

Comment

Awesome. I'm in awe of you guys. How the heck do you manage to do all of this and have another job too?

Comment

Awesome. I'm in awe of you guys. How the heck do you manage to do all of this and have another job too?
                      Beer has a lot of calories! Much energy in The Force, young Skywalker........hhhhhmmmmmm, yes.

Comment

Brian, thanks! I know a s/s welder who can whip one up for me (while he makes a yeast brink for me too *grin*)!

Rob

Comment

use your mash tun....just throw in a ton of hops, transfer in and knock out. Works very well when you want to add 50 pounds or so to a 10 bbl batch!
                          Larry Horwitz

Comment

That's putting the 'crafty' in craft brewing, I like it!

Comment

Working...
                            X