No announcement yet.

Adding a second water heater--question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second water heater--question.

I'm adding a second 40 gal. propane water heater to our pub system. My question is, do I plumb it in parallel with or series to the existing one?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

I would be tempted to run them in series, then you know you are always going to get the right temperature. If running in parallel, I would be concerned about having one system producing the right temperature, the other one not doing so, so you end up with everything out of spec. Of course, the rest of the the plumbing may make the decision for you financially or space wise, in that one version may require additional pumps, storage, controllers etc. over the other.
    dick

Comment

I would suspect the best answer will have more to do with your reason for adding a second one.

If I was looking to fulfill a high flow rate for short term demand, I would probably run parallel.

If I was looking for a low flow rate for an extended time period, then I would run series.

Comment

Thanks. I'm adding the heater to make up for the increased hot water usage due to running our kitchen dishwasher much more often. We have stopped using burger baskets and now only use plates, so lots more dishes.

After discussing this with several sources, including plumbers and inspectors, I'm going with series.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X