Fermenter Blow Off Tube Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter Blow Off Tube Connection

Hi, I am looking at some old (from the 1970s?) brewery equipment that is supposed to have come from a brewery in the UK. I am unsure of what I should be searching for to get various missing parts. In this specific case, I need a blow off tube connected to the fermenters. So I need something that will screw onto the port at the top of the tank (calipers shows 2.176 inches on the inside of the thread) with I guess a 90 degree elbow that will allow a tube to be connected to the other end. See the pictures attached and let me know if I can provide any more info to help you help me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fermenter3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	304721 Click image for larger version

Name:	fermenter1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	304722Click image for larger version

Name:	image_45887.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	304718
    Attached Files

2 inch RJT - whatever that stands for (I did know - but it's not important)

Have a look at various UK supplier websites - SSV, Fabdec, AB UK, and lots more besides. You will also need O rings to suit. Or if it is easier of course, cut them off and replace with your preferred fitting. Cheers
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post

Have a look at various UK supplier websites - SSV, Fabdec, AB UK, and lots more besides. You will also need O rings to suit. Or if it is easier of course, cut them off and replace with your preferred fitting. Cheers
      Thanks very much I'll see what I can find.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, but I think I have given you the wrong size. Check the pipe size - that is the critical dimension. The thread size is not measured. I suspect it will be 1.5 inch RJT you need.
        dick

Comment

Me again.

If the threads are squared off, they may be IDF. If they are triangular shaped (as they appear to be), then RJT. But I suggest you send those pictures as well as pipe ID and OD to whoever you talk to before confirming any order.
          dick

Comment

Me again.

If the threads are squared off, they may be IDF. If they are triangular shaped (as they appear to be), then RJT. But I suggest you send those pictures as well as pipe ID and OD to whoever you talk to before confirming any order.
            Ok, great. Thanks for the suggestions

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, looks like RJT - Ring Joint Type. ;-)

Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
              Chairman of the Beer
              Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
              Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
              W: www.lovibonds.com
              F: LovibondsBrewery
              T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Thanks again. It seems to be 1.5" RJT connections. However I can't seem to find something that would work for the blow off tube. I was imagining a 90 degree elbow with a male RJT connection on one end and a hose barb on the other. Any ideas what people use normally? Maybe I need an RJT to tri-clamp adapter and then a tri-clamp to barb hose elbow connector. Like these:

1.5" RJT Male - 1.5" Tri Clamp Adaptor (advancedbrewing.co.uk)

and

Amazon.com: DERNORD Sanitary Hose Barb Pipe Fitting 1.5" Tri Clamp (50.5MM Ferrule) 90 Degree Elbow (Tube OD: 1/2"/12MM (1.5 Tri-clamp)): Home Improvement
                Last edited by frank.cazabon; 01-04-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I have some similar cellar tanks and just measured, it is definitely 1.5 inch RJT. This to elbow and barb would be easily obtainable (most likely fabricated other than off shelf) here in the UK, but if the rest of your setup is TC, I would just go with the solution it looks like you have already found.

I buy most of our bits from from Peter at https://www.liquidsolutions.co.uk so worth dropping him a line (they don't have the entire selection on the website) if you are forced to buy from the UK...ABUK tend to always be on the pricey side, whereas Peter, prompt, knowledgeable and reasonably priced.

Wherever you end up sourcing the RJT part from, make sure they are including an o ring with the part...as that isn't always the case.

Cheers,
                  Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                  Chairman of the Beer
                  Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                  Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                  W: www.lovibonds.com
                  F: LovibondsBrewery
                  T: @Lovibonds

Comment

• frank.cazabon
                    frank.cazabon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rosie, Just resurrecting an old thread here as things are starting to move forward again after getting bogged down in trying to find a location.

How do you seal your fermenters/tanks? The top of the Grundy? Tank has a curved lip that doesn't look easy for a gasket to fit on.

Thanks Rosie. The entire setup is RJT. My difficulty is I'm in Trinidad (in the Caribbean) so accessing these types of fittings is difficult, especially from the UK. If I could find someone in the US providing this stuff would be easier but I can use the UK as a last resort, just it will be more expensive and a longer delivery time.

Thanks for the liquid solutions link. I will contact them. I did get a quote from another company for a fabrication of what I want that has come up to 100 GBP (I don't know why the forum cuts off my messages when it sees a special character like the degree symbol or the GBP symbol).
                  Last edited by frank.cazabon; 01-07-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Here is the male end you would need, however doesn't include the o-ring. I'll keep looking for you. I could weld on an elbow, or whatever fitting you needed to the end...

Robert "Red" Westphal
                    Quality Manager/Certified Welding Inspector/Independent Stainless Steel Fabricator
                    Phone: 719-661-8602

Comment

Here is a couple links to Dixon, that carries these fittings. First is the o-ring, second is the fitting itself. I believe my local supplier can get these if you are interested. Let me know and I'll find out for sure.

Robert "Red" Westphal
                      Quality Manager/Certified Welding Inspector/Independent Stainless Steel Fabricator
                      Phone: 719-661-8602

Comment

Thanks for the links and the offer. I will be in touch!

Comment

Working...
                        X