Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermowell Considerations

I am getting some FVs fabricated and would like some opinions thermowells:

Should they be built in directly in the tank or a separate piece connected to a free TC port on the FV? I always assumed it was the latter but the drawing i got implies the former. Any pros and cons for both methods?

At 10 BBL, do I need 2 separate thermowell locations? In my drawing I was given 1 in the cone and 1 in the side but they are only around 500mm (20") apart in height. Alternatively, I guess I can keep both to have 1 analogue gauge plugged in and the other probe connected to the controller.

The liquid height at working capacity in the FV is only around 2m (79"), I should not have any issues with stratification right?

I'd say have them welded in. If on a TC port you'll end up having to take them apart every time you clean the tank, and would probably end up damaging the wiring. One thermowell a few inches up the sidewall should be good. Having one down too low in the cone can cause the yeast cake to insulate it.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Makes sense.. another i noticed was the sidewall thermowell was drawn pointing at a 5 degree angle downwards (relative to horizontal). What is the rationale for this? The cone thermowell was 90 degrees to the cone wall (therefore pointing upwards)

Comment

Working...
      X