Two rings below mash tun, what for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two rings below mash tun, what for?

I took over a brewery and they are installing a 15bbl mash tun bought used.

No one thought to document the the existing piping so it has been a challenge to put back to together.

There are two rings below the mash tun , a larger outer ring and a smaller inner ring. I know the larger outer ring is the for collecting wort. My question is what is the smaller inner ring used for? I assume to CIP the bottom of the false bottom screen​. Even someone could explain how that works I would appreciate it.

I attached pics of the rings. Thanks!

The manufacturer refuses to answer any questions.

Attached Files
    Brew Master/Co-Owner
    Arclight Brewing Company
    Watervliet, MI

hi, I have a video of this back pressure flushing device. Could I know your email to send it to you?

Comment

The inter ring could be for jet sprayers to clean under the screen.

Comment

In this case of brewing equipment which is probably a Mash / Lauter Tun, according to the following manufacturer which looks similar to yours, one ring is for collecting the wort and the other ring is a "Back Pressure Flushing Device" with nozzles.

Comment

Oh dear, they've done it again. Put hugely oversized wort runoff pipework in which will be uncleanable. I speak from experience of a 7 metre Lauter, 12,000 kg grist, 750 hl brewlength, with runoff flows up to 450 hl / hr, which had one inch runoff pipes running to two 3 inch collection rings feeding a 4 inch outlet pipe with flow control. We cut the pipes out when we had runoff problems and these two photos show the effect of inadequate cleaning, admittedly after a good few years of service.

The point I'm making is to get those pipes changed to ones you can actually clean. A 15 (US?) brl brewhouse - no more than one inch pipes from the tun base feeding into a 1.5 inch main runoff pipe. The underplate flush pipework should also be reduced - given the right fittings, only half inch pipework would do the job and save you a lot of cleaning water.
          Attached Files
          dick

Comment

• patrickrue
            patrickrue commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that is scary!!!

Originally posted by crimsonwine View Post
          I took over a brewery and they are installing a 15bbl mash tun bought used.

No one thought to document the the existing piping so it has been a challenge to put back to together.

There are two rings below the mash tun , a larger outer ring and a smaller inner ring. I know the larger outer ring is the for collecting wort. My question is what is the smaller inner ring used for? I assume to CIP the bottom of the false bottom screen​. Even someone could explain how that works I would appreciate it.

I attached pics of the rings. Thanks!

The manufacturer refuses to answer any questions.
          Hi,

The small ring is for back flushing ring, normally there are four flushing nozzles connect with the four branch pipe.
          It often is used to clean the screen filter bottom by back flushing port. We often do back flushing with clean water.
          In that way, we do not have to disassembly all screen filter and clean them one by one.
          Feel free to contact with us if you want more assitance. I can show you a video.

Cheers,
          Brewman Machinery Equipment Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewman View Post

Hi,

The small ring is for back flushing ring, normally there are four flushing nozzles connect with the four branch pipe.
            It often is used to clean the screen filter bottom by back flushing port. We often do back flushing with clean water.
            In that way, we do not have to disassembly all screen filter and clean them one by one.
            Feel free to contact with us if you want more assitance. I can show you a video.

Cheers,
            Awesome thanks! that was the answer I was looking for. Thank you!
            Brew Master/Co-Owner
            Arclight Brewing Company
            Watervliet, MI

Comment

• Brewman
              Brewman commented
              Editing a comment
              It is my pleasure:-)

Cheers,
          Working...
          X