Brewing with dried orange peel, coriander and cinnamon sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing with dried orange peel, coriander and cinnamon sticks

Hey all, tomorrow is our first 7bbl batch of our wit which has dried orange, crushed coriander and cinnamon sticks. I was wondering how many of you would simply throw these spices in the boil and how many of you would bag them? I am definitely planning on bagging the cinnamon because of the size of the sticks, but would the crushed coriander and orange be okay to just throw into the boil? Would they make it through the whirl pool okay? We are fairly new to using our new 7bbl system so I wanted to get some opinions of people who have been there before us before we go and do it tomorrow. Any help or insight would be great. Thanks and have a great night!

Do not put orange peel directly into your boil. Orange peel floats, so it won't settle out in the whirlpool. And then it'll run into your heat exchanger and jam it up and it'll be a total nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by DageraadBen View Post
      Do not put orange peel directly into your boil. Orange peel floats, so it won't settle out in the whirlpool. And then it'll run into your heat exchanger and jam it up and it'll be a total nightmare.

Unless they are ground/powder you will need to put them in a mesh bag otherwise you will clog your heat EX...
      Hop It And Bitterness Will Come

James Costa
      Brewmaster
      Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.
      El Granada,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by DageraadBen View Post
        Thanks! I bagged everything up and it worked fine, though I'm not 100% sure I got quite as much extraction of the citrus as I would have without them being bagged. I am all for ease of use though.

Now my question is this, do whole cone leaf hops float as well, or do they sink to the bottom during the boil? Sounds like a silly question I know, but we've used almost exclusively pellets. I am curious because if we do end up using whole cones some day I wouldn't want them getting stuck in the heat exchanger either. So does everyone bag leaf hops as well, or do they sink out and get pulled to the center of the whirl pool?

Comment

Working...
        X