Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 system design / pipe diameter

Everyone,

I'm working on a CO2 system for a brewery buildout, and have a few questions I could use some help with...

I am planning to run PEX-AL-PEX as CO2 main line from 6 ton bulk tank with vaporizer array, regulated to 100ish PSI. I was planning to run 1" ID line on the idea that larger diameter = less restricted flow = good. In the past I've worked with both 3/8" PVC and 1/2" copper CO2 lines, but with 90 bbl tanks going in, my instinct was that the higher flow would make for much quicker blow downs and other operations.

Maybe I overthought it, but here's my hangup: if I drop 1" line down to a secondary regulator that has a 1/2" FNPT inlet (high flow regulator) or a 1/4" inlet (normal flow), will the act of reducing down to 1/2 or 1/4" NPT defeat the purpose of having 1" line? Or, if I'm going fit a 1" x 1/2" NPT reducer to connect the secondary regulator, would it make more sense to just run 1/2" line to begin with?

This might be gas handling 101, but any clarification would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

1" P-Al-P mainline is a good idea, especially if you add high-load equipment like keg washers, bottlers, etc. For the drops to the fermenter/bright tank secondary regs, 1/2" is plenty. We blow down 110 bbl ferms in short time with 1/2" supply.

With a primary set at ~100 psi, the Pex-Al-Pex is probably overkill. I use O2-barrier PEX for most of our CO2 lines these days, and it's done great at ~125 psi on 100F+ days.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

more than just not restricting flow, keeping the velocity of the CO2 down in the pipe from the main regulator to the secondary can prevent icing during heavy draw periods.

Comment

Working...
      X