BTU output of 10hl Brewhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTU output of 10hl Brewhouse

I have a recently acquired 10hl NSI brewhouse. I have an HVAC guy asking for how much heat the brewhouse is going to generate within the confines of the brewing space. I've approached NSI and they haven't responded and I need this info ASAP. Any thoughts or ballpark figures would be huge. There is a 10hl HLT steam fired, a steam fired 10hl kettle and a unjacketed mash tun that will be in use. With these three vessels in use how much heat will be generated with in the brewing space?

Tash

its all about the isolation

Hi,

interesting question let me get your calculations on the way.

The heat energy coming from your tanks or vessels depends first on the temp inside of them, on the surface area and the isolation. Here some figures that you can use to calculate, I let you choose the temp inside the tank, but maybe you should calculate with the highest peak!!

Used Isolation: Heat transfer in kJ/mhK

Polyurethan 0,071
    Polystyrol 0,117
    PVC or Glas woll 0,134
    Rock woll 0,147
    Wood fiber 0,167
    Concrete 0,481
    Clinker 2,512

Hope this helps
    Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

An air-conditioned brewhouse? What is this, lifestyles of the rich and famous?

I think ventilation is the key thing, you will have a very damp and steamy room if the air isn't being changed often. Maybe figure on four air changes an hour?
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by lhall
        An air-conditioned brewhouse? What is this, lifestyles of the rich and famous?

I think ventilation is the key thing, you will have a very damp and steamy room if the air isn't being changed often. Maybe figure on four air changes an hour?
        Linus,
        When I designed the brewhouse for the BBC BrewPub back in 1993, I put 15 tons of A/C on the space. I could keep the temp. @ 65 F. on brewday in the middle of summer.

I agree with your four air changes/hour, minimum.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Radiative heat loss from a 10hL system including piping etc will be in the range of 60-100,000 btu over the brewlength. This will increase if your mash tun doesn't have a stack (you'll have more btu's from evaporative loss)

Depends greatly on insulation of vessels (i know you said mash tun was not).

I'm assuming your boiler is located somewhere else. Environmental heat off a boiler can be huge.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
          X