Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gitchegumee
    replied
    Budweiser's St. Lois plant has tried several different designs with minimal difference. They have one to spin the wort opposite the "natural" spin in this hemisphere and couldn't find any real change from anything else tried. Be careful of pump shear tearing your floc to shreds. I don't use a pump on anything smaller than 15 bbl--using a paddle does the job without nearly so much shear. And I wouldn't do it on a larger system without a VFD on a centrifugal pump to keep the speeds lower. Many smaller German setups run the wort into the whirlpool by gravity. This is the KISS principle and works very well. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Hofer
    replied
    I found pretty clear recommendations for whirlpool inlet placing in "Brewing Science and practice":
    A whirlpool consists of a vertical, cylindrical vessel, with a preferred height/width ratio of 0.7±0.8/1. Hot wort is injected tangentially, at about 30ë to the tangent to the vessel wall, often at a rate of about 3.5 m/s. Sometimes injection is at about a third of the vessel height from the
    base, while in other cases the stream of wort is introduced nearer to the top or, in the cases of some kettle-whirlpools, at or above the surface. Pumps used to drive the wort from the copper to the whirlpool should exert minimal shear and not disrupt the trub.

My interpretation for the above: straight piece of pipe at about 30Grades to the tangent at about one third of the height.

Leonid

Leave a comment:

• Michael Murphy
    replied
    whirlpools inlets can be cut flush to the inside of the kettle at its proper tangent, this way there will be no obstruction in the path of the wirlpool. But I have seen and used both with out obstruction and with a small elbow inside the kettle. Both worked completely fine.

on my equipment I bring the tubing up inside the cladding to hide the tubbing, then I put an 90 to the inside and the 90 for the whirlpool tangent.

Leave a comment:

• Hofer
    replied
    Outer or inner elbow?

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
    ...use an 90 degree elbow
    That is outer elbow, right? As close as possible (at the smallest angle to) to the circumference to make the wort enter at a tangent?
    I've seen the picture at either book (Practical Brewer?), but now can't reproduce it.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• liammckenna
    replied
    In small whirlpools, direction of whirl doesn't matter much. Over 30 hL, you may want to consider coriolis forces (sets up eddy's in the whirl) and whether you're north or south of the equator when determining the direction of whirl.

Ideally the wort will enter at a tangent to the circumference. Best not to have any elbows or anything inside the tank (drastically affects whirling pattern).

Pax.

Liam

Leave a comment:

• Michael Murphy
    replied
    the easiest way for the faricator would be to put it about 1/3rd up from the bottom of the kettle and use an 90 degree elbow, depending on kettle size, pump size, you may want to keep yours about 12mm-20mm- diameter

My 25hl system has a slightly reduced 38mm tube. I have a 1000 lt with a 26mm diameter elbow.

Point it to pump west =)

Leave a comment:

• Hofer
    started a topic Whirlpool inlet placing

Whirlpool inlet placing

What is supposed relative whirlpool inlet placing in a kettle?
    Should it be valved inlet and how the inner part of it should look like?
    Where (web, book) I could see a clear picture of it?

Thank you!
Working...
X