24VDC controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24VDC controller?

In a bind. Got a 24vdc solenoid in place, but my Johnson A419 output is 24VAC. Will this combo work? If not, can someone recommend a 24VDC temp controller?

thanks
    Scott Swygert
    Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

No. And 24vac to 24vdc transformers are expensive.

What model solenoid valves are they? Can you replace the solenoid itself with an ac model? Most valves have several choices.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

If your solenoid valves are Asco, you can get the AC core for the solenoid. It's a pretty quick and easy change-out.

Alternately, to convert AC to DC, all you need is a bridge rectifier. These are cheap and easy to install, and as it's 24V, you don't need a licensed electrician. The output contacts on your A419 certainly don't give a hoot whether they're switching AC or DC, so a simple 24VDC power supply--like a 1A wall-wart--would solve your problems. Look at the wiring diagram for the 419--there is a jumper from the power supply side to the common of the output relay. Eliminate that, and hook your DC supply to the common terminal, and the solenoid to the NO terminal.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

A419 Wiring for 24VDC Solenoid Valve

Thanks Timm. I actually have the controller connected to a 24VDC power supply. Yesterday we had no voltage come through the output contacts so we thought the A419 was burned out from using DC current (even though it was new). I will try rewiring it now as you suggested. I ordered a 24VAC replacement coil as a backup plan.

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        If your solenoid valves are Asco, you can get the AC core for the solenoid. It's a pretty quick and easy change-out.

Alternately, to convert AC to DC, all you need is a bridge rectifier. These are cheap and easy to install, and as it's 24V, you don't need a licensed electrician. The output contacts on your A419 certainly don't give a hoot whether they're switching AC or DC, so a simple 24VDC power supply--like a 1A wall-wart--would solve your problems. Look at the wiring diagram for the 419--there is a jumper from the power supply side to the common of the output relay. Eliminate that, and hook your DC supply to the common terminal, and the solenoid to the NO terminal.
        Scott Swygert

Comment

Scott--an AC coil is a good idea, but unless you replace the solenoid core, you'll be listening to a annoying and possibly damaging buzz whenever the solenoid is activated.

The 419 seems to want AC for the power supply, but you can run DC through the relay. I just read the instructions for the 419 24VAC, and it doesn't say anything about running the controller on DC. The relay and controller PS have separate terminals inside the box, and right now you have a jumper from the AC line to the the common terminal of the relay. Remove this, and wire your DC supply to the common terminal of the relay only.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

A419 not working on DC

Without the jumper to common output, i have no voltage reading on the outputs. Which is completely different than my other A419 controllers which are connected to 24VAC. With the common jumper connected, I get 48VDC on the outputs. with the solenoid connected to common and NO, the valve will not to open.

I called Johnson Controls tech support and they said A419 was not designed to work on DC so probably wouldn't work.

FWIW, the Dwyer temp controllers are listed as AC / DC. I'm going to switch out the solenoid coil to AC and go that way.

thanks for the input.
            Scott Swygert

Comment

late to read

thanks Timm, I just read this and will try the power to the common only as you suggested.

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              Scott--an AC coil is a good idea, but unless you replace the solenoid core, you'll be listening to a annoying and possibly damaging buzz whenever the solenoid is activated.

The 419 seems to want AC for the power supply, but you can run DC through the relay. I just read the instructions for the 419 24VAC, and it doesn't say anything about running the controller on DC. The relay and controller PS have separate terminals inside the box, and right now you have a jumper from the AC line to the the common terminal of the relay. Remove this, and wire your DC supply to the common terminal of the relay only.
              Scott Swygert

Comment

No power

Timm, the unit won't power up when the DC supply lines are connected to only the common side.
                Scott Swygert

Comment

Right. The controller AC power supply needs to be attached to the terminals on the left--TB1. The other set of terminals on the right--TB2--are for the output relay, and have no connection with the electronics of the controller, so you can switch DC on them.

If yours is wired as usual, there will be a wire from one of the terminals on TB1 to the COM terminal of TB2. Remove this, leaving the 24VAC supply attached to TB1. Now run one leg of your DC supply to the COM of TB2, then wire the solenoid to the NO terminal of TB2 and the other leg of the DC power.
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

It works!

Thank you Timm! Brilliant solution. I did not understand that both the AC and DC power supplies needed to be connected to the controller at the same time.
                    Scott Swygert

Comment

Working...
                    X