Combination Mash Tun HLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combination Mash Tun HLT

I have a very small brewing space and I'm in the market for a combination mash tun and HLT.
    Has anyone experienced a heat increase in the mash tun from the HLT water being at 180 degrees F?

Any insight would be appreciated

Comment

I have a combi set up, 15bbl. It does seem that the very first runnings are a little hotter than the bulk of the mash, maybe 2 degrees.

Cheers,

Rich DeLano
      rich@thebrewinglair.com

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

I've been rocking a 10hL mash tun/12.5hL hlt combo for about 6 months now, and I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't noticed much difference in mash temps being higher, but I don't lose any heat when mashing in as the tun is pre heated. Only downsides on my system are the HLT is too small to hold enough water for mash in and sparge, so I heat more water in my kettle to top off (not a huge nuisance) and it's significantly harder to clean because it doesn't have a bottom drain port due to the domed bottom.
          Karen Belfry

Comment

I have a skid mounted steam heated system with a MT over the HLT on the left and the BK/WP on the right. I haven't noticed too much of a heat pick up since after I mash in I have to refill the HLT with cold water. the biggest issue I have is that the amount you can measure accurately in the sight glass is very often less than the sparge amount. also, it overflows from the knockout water going in. go with the biggest HLT you can. or go with water on demand and daisy chain a couple together maybe? If I had to do it over I would go with separate vessels.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by KBbrews View Post
                I've been rocking a 10hL mash tun/12.5hL hlt combo for about 6 months now, and I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't noticed much difference in mash temps being higher, but I don't lose any heat when mashing in as the tun is pre heated. Only downsides on my system are the HLT is too small to hold enough water for mash in and sparge, so I heat more water in my kettle to top off (not a huge nuisance) and it's significantly harder to clean because it doesn't have a bottom drain port due to the domed bottom.
                SOP should be to heat your strike water in the brewkettle and mash in from there. Heat sparge water in HLT and sparge from there. Reclaim HX water back to HLT.

Double brewing should also be easy, but you will have to top off the HLT at some point for the second sparge.
                Todd G Hicks
                BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Originally posted by ModernLover View Post
                  I have a very small brewing space and I'm in the market for a combination mash tun and HLT.
                  Has anyone experienced a heat increase in the mash tun from the HLT water being at 180 degrees F?
                  We have a few combi's in the field if you want to check them out. I think most brewers will tell you that the water level in your HLT from mash-in will be significantly lower. Use this opportunity to refill the HLT.

Happy Brewing,
                  Ryan
                  SMT Brewery Solutions
                  Click Here for Pricing
                  SMT Brewery Equipment
                  rhice@smartmachine.com
                  smartmachine.com
                  704-302-6383

Comment

Working...
                  X