Solenoid and Thermastat Controller Combo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solenoid and Thermastat Controller Combo Question

I am in the process of starting up a 7 BBL system and an currently attempting to set up my fermentors (7 BBL too).

I have been reading and researching which solenoid and temp thermostat control combo works best for a reasonable cost. I seem to just go round and round.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including make & models, 24V vs 120V, etc.

Thank you!

Earl

Not a lot of info here to get specific.

Do you have a powered control panel or are you on a totally manual system?

If you have 24V DC wired in, that's an option. If not, I'd go 120V for simplicity.

What do you consider a "reasonable" price?

If you want super simple and cheap, wire a Johnson A419 to each tank. Comes with a temp probe. Zip tie it to the leg. Use a cheapo Chinese solenoid, but pipe in isolation valves so you can replace it if needed.

If you want something good, go with a Belimo motorized ball valve. Shouldn't have to worry about replacing it. Use a Pt100 type RTD temp probe, and wire it back to something like a Fuji PXR4 controller. Put all your controllers in a waterproof electrical box from Home Depot, and mount it somewhere convenient.

There are a lot of cheapo options when it comes to the controllers, and buy back ups if you go cheap. Just in case. Relay contacts may wear out faster.

Make sure the controller you use is rated for your power input (24DC, 120AC), matches your signal input (Pt100, K, J, whatever type thermocouple), and offers the proper relay signal type (PID controlled contact, SSR controlled no contact, ect). If you are only using it to power the solenoid/ball valve, don't worry too much about amperage draw.

I just bought a cheaper JLD7100 for use as a mash temp probe read out, but something like that could work for you. You have to look at the whole part number to identify each component of the controller (PXR3-SAY1-4VTA1 for example)

Comment

Appreciate the Advice and Direction

Thank you! This gives me a better idea on how to proceed. Not to say I wont have more road blocks or questions as I over-think the situation lol

I really appreciate the Probrewer Community here!

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Stephens View Post
        Thank you! This gives me a better idea on how to proceed. Not to say I wont have more road blocks or questions as I over-think the situation lol

I really appreciate the Probrewer Community here!
        Well, at least you know where to come when you hit the next road block!

I'd be interested to see what setup you end up going with and how it works out for you.

Comment

Working...
        X