Leasing Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leasing Equipment

Does anyone know of anyone who leases brewing systems, or anyone who has leased equipment? It is always wise to minimize your capital expenditures. This seems like a good way to do it, but I have not seen or heard of any references to the practice.
    James Romano
    Owner, and everything else . . .
    Fire Cirkl, White City, OR

www.breweryfinance.com
    Scott Metzger
    Freetail Brewing Co.
    San Antonio, TX

Comment

A buddy of mine was the brewmaster at a company that leased it's brewing equipment. They lost their shirts. There were other issues going against them it's true, but he told me that their equipment lease was killing them monthly. In my opinion the best bet for a new brewery is to buy quality used equipment from a reputable service like NABS, Ager Tank or one of the others.

Comment

I've thought about the leasing equipment as well. I'm also against leasing the brewhouse and most things. I think that's a place that you need to invest your capital. I am looking at leasing kegs. Those seem to me to be a place that a lease would be effective.

Comment

Thank you, folks, for your replies. It sounds like if I am thinking about leasing, I had better think carefully about it. I have also heard that being careful about used equipment is also a necessity. I have inquired about a used 7 bbl system that I saw on this site, but I have not heard back from the company yet. I have some time to shop around. I do not anticipate opening for another two years. It will take me that long to complete my education and put things in place. It's a lot of work, but a ton of fun!
          James Romano
          Owner, and everything else . . .
          Fire Cirkl, White City, OR

Comment

Talk to a Banker

I really suggest talking to a banker or your loan officer (one in the same?). I was considering a rent-to-own deal for my fork lift and my banker explained that you're better off getting financing in those situations if you can't buy it outright. In a four-year rental agreement, for instance, versus a four-year term loan, the rental fee is usually higher than the interest payments, and at the end you usually still have to cough up a wad of cash because the rental payments only pay off a certain percentage of the total principle.

Now, I realize that's not quite the same as a regular lease, but the cash-hemorrage is about the same. Consider also, in a worst case scenario, if you signed a lease for, say, six years and your brewery fails in four, then you might either still be responsible for paying monthly rental payments or they'll kill you with a cancellation fee and/or hit you with a one-year's notice clause - or something like that.

At any rate, I really suggest talking to a banker. Of course, he's got an interest in landing a new loan for his bank, but I think he'll also be honest with you and explain the whole thing. If you do sign a lease, make sure your lawyer goes over it thoroughly.
            Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
            Strangeways Brewing
            2277-A Dabney Road
            Richmond, VA 23230
            804-303-4336
            www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Horsepoorx2 View Post
              Does anyone know of anyone who leases brewing systems, or anyone who has leased equipment? It is always wise to minimize your capital expenditures. This seems like a good way to do it, but I have not seen or heard of any references to the practice.
              Leasing offers a lot of benefits especially for start up entrepreneurs. I would personally recommend you check out LeaseQ. I think you will find us worth your time.

Comment

http://www.americancapitalgroup.com/...g-leasing.aspx
                I recommend this company. They are much faster than a bank and will advise you on what financing plan is right for you.

Comment

I know of one, very successful brewery that is leasing their brewhouse from a local owner. The owner doesn't have a CURRENT use for it, and doesn't want to sell (I tried to buy it once).

Also, I believe I saw that the former Olde Mecklenburg brewery is for lease or sale...Olde Meck relocated/expanded last year. I don't remember where I saw that, but it might be worth looking into.

Comment

Working...
                  X