Adhesive for Plate filter gaskets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive for Plate filter gaskets...

I'm in the process of replacing all the gaskets on my plate-and-frame 40x40 filter. The end gaskets on the 2 end plates were affixed with adhesive (all I can tell about it is that it was a red color when dry and seemed to have a rubbery texture rather than being brittle). The last time I re-attached the end gaskets I used a 2 part epoxy recommended by a local supplier. But it proved to be too brittle over time and failed after about a year.

I figure I could go get some super strength glue from the hardware store but I'm a bit unsure about using something that isn't specifically food grade since it may come in contact with the filtered beer.

Since I'm sure that I'm not the only person to ever have to replace one of these gaskets, I'm hoping that someone can recommend a good adhesive to use?

I should say that the gaskets are silicone based (from GW Kent) and the plates are black plastic (Noryl?). Any help is appreciated...
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Glueless Gasket

I had an old plate and frame one time, with unattached end gaskets. This is what I did...for years.
    As you pack the sheets in, pinch the first one in place, this will require 2 hands and you could also get gravity in your favor by having the other end elevated, but it will stay with the weight of the second plate. When you get to the other end, it gets a little harder. You need to have the end plate very close, and you slide the last gasket into place, and holding it in place you screw the enplate tighter.
    Its not fun, but once you master the process, its just part of setting it up. I just never liked the idea of any kind of glue there, and dealt with it. At one point I was holding this filter together with 2 bar clamps! It was a Bohemian, and the screw went and the endplates were hollow, it was a joke.
    Hope this helps
    GOOSE

Comment

3M Scotch-Grip Plastic Adhesive 1099
      is the glue used on plate heat exchangers to put gaskets in place. It will work fine on your application. Cheers!

Comment

Hey Hutch!

I'd forget the glue and use the "place as you fill" technique...the gaskets will last longer and be easier to clean.

how you been man?
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Larry,
          Always good to hear from you. Things in the Adirondacks are going well, enjoying some real snow for the first time today; should be 3-5 inches so i suppose winter is here! It was good to see you at GABF, it's always rejuvenating to have some great beers and hang out with good folks. How's things at Iron Hill?

I took your & GOOSE's advice and just placed the gaskets in by hand. I'm only 2/3 way through the filter but I don't see any major drips so I should be okay.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

rock on with snow!!! I've got to get up there this year for some ice climbing...talk about it every year and never do it. I've been great. Living the dream, you know? Yeah, GABF was a total blast! Hey, we are setting up our spring trip to the high peaks...looks like weekend of May 23,24,25. Do you have plans for those dates? Wanna' join us? Not sure exactly what we have planned, but I think it's going to be on the low key side...like a couple of miles in and then base camp style drinking and what not. I'll bring the girl and my climbing rack and we'll most likely do a little climbing, hiking etc. I am sure we will drink ourselves retared. Brugger from Troegs will come, Brian from the Sly Fox, and we always have a few other stow aways.

call if you like
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
            X