Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hoses - Do I need to do anything?

Hi guys,

We've bought some new brewery hose and I noticed that the stuff smells like the tire department of a Fleet Farm (sorry, Wisconsin thing, I think). I always liked the smell as a kid

I thought I read somewhere about 'pickling' the hose prior to use with waste beer in order to pull out any 'new hose' odors? Or will a cleaning cycle prior to use do the job? Sorry, I don't have the make of hose in front of me.

Any experience appreciated, I can't afford to taint the first beer through.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

brewers hose

I have never noticed any tainting from high quality brewers hose. I use the Goodyear brewers hose 3A, FDA compliant chlorobutyl interior for all hot side applications. This hose can withstand the heat and is good for vacume/pressure. Its super expensive though (~14 USD a foot). The chlorobutyl shouldnt have much odor, the outer covering may have some odor to it. That being said I always CIP new hose to remove any manufacturing oils or debris. For cold side operations I use the much less expensive (~3 USD/ft) clear braided PVC (food use compliant). I clean this with lower temperature alkaline cleaners (PBW). I replace it more often than the hot side hose. If your hose really smells you should check if its really brewers hose. There are some hoses out there that look like brewers hose but really are not for food use. I have also had the misfoutune of using "bargain" hose (still supposedly food rated) for beer dispense only to find my beer tasting very much like plastic no matter how I tried to leach the hose. I think its more of a problem when the beer sits in the hose overnight. Happy Brewing.

Comment

Thanks JoeV,

I've attached the spec sheet on this particular hose:
      Attached Files
      Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
      Chairman of the Beer
      Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
      Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
      W: www.lovibonds.com
      F: LovibondsBrewery
      T: @Lovibonds

Comment

how about... you can do a little tasting test.

leave some clean drinking water in the hose over night (or whatever many hours you find reasonable), and then compare this water to some clean control for a blind tasting? (ask someone else to try the two and see if they can tell the difference)

Maybe the smell really is just from the outside...

Comment

I recently got 2 new hoses, they are Goodyear plicord USDA hoses. They smelled like a tire factory when i got them, probably b/c that's where they came from. I used them for CIP only for the first week or so, and used them to CIP the HE after brews leaving the GloSan (PBW) in the overnight. Seemed to work well for me, i cannot pick up on any rubbery odor coming from them now.

mmm, tires & beer
          -why do have a sudden urge to listen to the Rev Horton Heat?
          Last edited by Jephro; 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Hose spec

Rosie,

Based on the specs it seems like a fine hose. I would bet Jephro is right that the smell is just on the outside.

Comment

Tires & Beer....I'm thinking Southern Culture on the Skids, "Dirt track date" might be an appropriate song too!
              -Beaux

Comment

Working...
              X