Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Seltzer Filtration

Greetings,

I am dipping the toes into hard seltzer production, and was just curious as to what other brewers are using to filter the seltzers. Currently I am looking a lenticular setups, but are there other ways to achieve clarity and flavor removal for the base without such a high price tag? I will be producing anywhere from 20bbl to max 60bbl batches initially. Any info on manufactures or process advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

I have had good success with charcoal plate filters. I use 35 of the 40x40 charcoal filters. I filter it through at 1bbl per 10 minutes and end up with a crystal clear flavorless (other than ethanol) base that I can flavor with whatever I want. The prefiltered seltzer is very cloudy and tastes like bad white wine.

Comment

If speed is important, lenticular is the way to go for production scale (60bbl) batches. It polishes the seltzer leaving a crystal clear product and removes any fermentation character. I’ve gone from fermenter to glass in 5 days. Gelatin and Biofine will work on smaller batches but I’ve not found it to be effective over 10bbls if you are brewing at-gravity batches. A higher gravity base that is diluted to FG produces less turbidity, particulate and yeast as well so the less you create, the less you need to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gatorbrew, what yeast are you using to be able to ferment that fast? Are you using a special nutrient? My fermentations are always painfully slow even with nutrient.

Comment

Distiller’s yeast, 20 grams of yeast nutrient per barrel, CaCl to 50ppm, 10ppm MgSO4, 1ppm Zinc should give you 24 hr results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you do a primary filtration to remove the yeast before using plate and frame with carbon sheets to remove color and flavors?

Comment

No I just use 35 carbon filters...I've done it before it 2 stages doing a coarse filtration first and then carbon filtration, but it made no appreciable difference. I still get sparkling clear seltzer with no flavor using just the carbon filters and it saves time and money.

Comment

Working...
              X