Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro cyclone Seperator

Hey Folks,

Does anyone have experience with Hydro cyclone separator for trub+ hop + Yeast separation?

any thoughts? Advantages + Disadvantages???

Thanks

The only experience of cylones I have had is for removing relatively large, dense particles such as filter powders from dust extraction systems or, perhaps oddly in this respect, as a mixer! I really don't think there is sufficient difference in density between the yeast, trub particles and the liquid for one to work. You need something generating a couple of thousand G to be able to separate these particles reasonably efficiently, only, as far as I know, achievable by centrifuges. The cyclones also need an air core maintaining, which might not be good news for the separated materials, depending on further usage / disposal. Go for a small centrifuge, normally, but not always, disc bowl type. You can get them pretty much to any spec of volume and solids removal efficiency
    dick

Comment

We have Alfa brew 80 centrifuge and we mostly use it for cold side clarifications. The need for a cyclone separator came in the discussion we were looking to reduce wort wastage in IPA brews in whirlpool due to heavy dose of Kettle hops and I think using a centrifuge for saving a few hundred litres is useless.

A lot of hydro cyclone separators are available on Amazon, mostly used for drip irrigation but I am not sure about the particle load size. On the specs, it says remove fine sand and silt particles of size above 75 microns. Planning to try at least once to know how it works.

Thanks

Comment

Stokes law defines how these machines work. The difference in density (as Dick points out) between the liquid and the particles is directly proportional to the separation rate. Particles heavier than surrounding liquid settle out. Centrifuges operate by increasing the settling rate with higher "gravitational" acceleration via centrifugal force. For this to work well, speeds are high. High enough to shear those nice, delicate hot break flocs you just made into dust. Rather than mess with the trub, better to centrifuge the entire batch. There are alternate hop separators that used to be part of every brewery. Either way, this process change is likely to change flavor of finished beer. Not usually for the better.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
        X