advice on use of lenticular filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on use of lenticular filter

We recently switched from DE filter to a 16" lenticular filter with 2 x 10 micron filter modules. We have used the setup twice so far and on both occasions performance was fine until about halfway through the process when through flow slowed to a crawl and we had to flush the filter twice in order to finish the job.
    Today we failed to get anything through at all, the through flow was so slow it would have taken a week to filter the whole tank,

Some information on our process:
    We are filtering four day cold crashed lagers that are fined but still show visible haze
    Batch size is around 2800L
    The FV is pressurized to 2.5 bar with receiving tank at 0.5 bar
    Beer is allowed to flow through gas release valve at top of filter for around 30 seconds before its closed off and line open to tank

Is the FV tank pressure too high and therefore pressure within filter too high?
    Should we be using a pump inline between the FV and the filter?

Any advice from people with solid experience using lenticular filter would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I've used Pall SupraDisc II and AKS4 modules with great results, however, I was also filtering post centrifuge.

A few things that these modules are dependent on is flow rate and filter pressure. You will want to verify with the filter manufacturer the rated flow, which is typically per module, so double the flow rate. I was able to run at 40 GPM (~150 LPM), but slower will lessen the likelihood of clogging, particularly if you don't have a centrifuge. I ran at a target 7 PSI (~.5 bar) and allowed 5-10 PSI (.3-.7 bar) for my range. This is for pre-filter and post-filter pressures. Difference will give you an idea when the filter is beginning to become saturated.

Tank pressures have little to do with filtration other than controlling flow rate. I recommend:
    -Increase the fining agent (Biofine/silicic acid/SiO2) to the upper end of dosing.
    -Try splitting the dosing, 50% at half to final temp and remaining at final temp. Generally, 48-36 hrs achieves 90% clarity with SiO2.
    -Ensure you're pulling only beer. You will have increased loss, but will prevent clogs.
    -Reduce pressure to slow flow and add a flow meter.
    -Once you have straight beer from the top valve you are able to switch to filtering. Run more down the drain after beginning filtration vs before filtering.
    -I like a pump and to link the two tanks by their blowoff arms so they maintain equal pressure. This allows you to observe the lenticular pressures more accurately.
    -If you have the ability to add 2 more modules, do that as it will help distribute the work between additional packs.

Comment

Curious why you would stop using DE filter? I find them superior on larger volumes with less waste & lower operating cost. Tank pressure has nothing to do with filtration, assuming that you are within rating of the filter; Fermentation and brite tanks should be same pressure (saturation pressure for your temperature and desired carbonation) for the entire run. The differential pressure across the filter is what you will use to monitor filtration performance. For this you must use a pump--otherwise, you will suffer large CO2 breakout trying to use gas to push. Use balance line as described by RRodriguez. Another trick to minimize yeast during filtration is to use a port higher up the vessel at first--don't use bottom-most port until the end of filtration run when you have to.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X