Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping Systems - Large Vessels

Hey Everybody,

I am just writing here with a question regarding Dry hopping in fermentation tanks >4000 hl with dry hopping rates of 30 gr/l . As a starting point I would say that a dry hopping rate of 30 gr/l sounds grotesque in my ears, at least to me... In the previous breweries I have worked at dry hopping rates only went as high as 15 g/l and even already at lower values we could see that we were experiencing diminishing returns out of dry hop additions, but in any case...

I heard about a particular brewery who was interested in upscaling a brand they formerly produced at a smaller craft brewery, where they wanted to do 30g/l in potentially 4,400 hl tanks. This results in massive amounts of hops that need to be dosed and I wanted to know what you people had seen or done.

I have been in contact both with GEA and Alfa Laval to hear them about their particular systems and my conclusion is that you would nee to conduct dry hopping in small batches, by using a hop slurry tank in which the beer is either recirculated through or where the contents are directly recirculated in the tank. In any case, I was thinking that this practice will surely suppose a hop pellet handling plant due to the high amount of pellets that need to be used and really long process times to handle the total amount of hops in 10 - 15 batches or something like that depending on the slurry tank size.

What have you people seen out there and do you have any good supplier references? Would be interested in hearing about it.

Cheers,

Manuel

Firstly

Do you really mean > 4,000 hectolitres (Hl) (400,000 litres) or 4,000 litres (40 hectolitres - Hl)?

If you really are talking about 4,000 Hl then having worked in places with 2,000 hectolitre tanks, we used hop oils, dosed in during filtration, or hop pellets for individual casks when packaging (unfiltered) cask beer.

Assuming you are talking 4000 litres, then use of a hop torpedo / hop rocket (name changes, method doesn't) is widespread. Or dose hops into the vessel when desired, and recirculate round the tank, using suitable non macerating pump, possibly through a submersed toftejorg high pressure type head. Which leaves the mess of hops in the tank. Which is why so many people use a hop rocket/torpedo type system.
    dick

Comment

Now more and more beer brewers like to add dry hops on fermentation stage for more flavors of hops. So the dry hop port will be asked to be installed, when the beer fermenting tank ordered.

1. A dry hop doser with CO2 Port, It can do isobaric dry hop adding. see photo
      Click image for larger version

Name:	fermenter dry hop.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	318324
      or use a hop gun hop cannon or torpedo / hop rocket, it use 20%-30% less hops using than that traditional ways. see photo below
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Beer Hop cannon.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	318325
      More info, Please message us. Regards

Comment

I also would give MULLER a call

Comment

Working...
        X